Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   SW microbes live in lower level salinity? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/sw-microbes-live-lower-level-salinity-114156/)

GwenInNM 09-13-2012 06:46 AM

SW microbes live in lower level salinity?

I'm got a bunch of dead rock, that was once live rock. Just can't afford to get live rock. So, I'm planning on putting my GSP in his larger tank (68 gal), and I want to match the salinity of what is in his current tank (28 gal) (that a neighbor is buying from me this weekend) because I know the filter (or good bacteria) isn't able to handle more salinity. I've been raising salinity slowly, but currently I keep getting a nitrite reading :( If I get some substrate from a SW tank and put it in the new tank, is there any good reason to do this? Will it help with any possible cycling? Would any of the small creatures be able to live in salinity of 1.012? Or would getting that just create more waste, as they die off?

I'm so worried about moving my little guy,because I'm afraid all the dead rock and crushed coral substrate may have tons of waste in it (though I rinsed it well) and create a hugh cycle, though I'm putting my existing fluval 305 on the new tank, and adding a emperor 400 also, with new filters.

Any ideas, before I take this plunge!

Gwen

Reefing Madness 09-13-2012 09:29 AM

If you just put the Rock form the 28g in the tank along with the substrate and nothing else, you will be ok. It will probably shot up a mini cycle, but should not take long nor be very dangerous. If you put all the dead rock in at the same time, this will give you a full blown cycle, as the bacteria will start to grow on it all, at the same time. Put your 28g in the new tank, then slowly like every 2-3 weeks add more rock. But, yoiu didnt' mention what salinity level the fish is in right now, and is it the 1.012 that you are going to bring it to right away?

wake49 09-13-2012 02:26 PM

Adding a scoop of "Live" substrate from a friend's tank will help to increase the beneficial bacteria, as well as the good reef bugs and worms. The deeper denitrifying bacteria will take a while to culture in your tank, especially if you are going through salinity changes.

GwenInNM 09-13-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1241447)
If you just put the Rock form the 28g in the tank along with the substrate and nothing else, you will be ok. It will probably shot up a mini cycle, but should not take long nor be very dangerous. If you put all the dead rock in at the same time, this will give you a full blown cycle, as the bacteria will start to grow on it all, at the same time. Put your 28g in the new tank, then slowly like every 2-3 weeks add more rock. But, yoiu didnt' mention what salinity level the fish is in right now, and is it the 1.012 that you are going to bring it to right away?

Okay, this may prevent me from selling my 28 gal to my neighbor for awhile. The rock is all new, It's not been in my 28 gallon. I've set the large tank up with the rock, and new substrate (because I don't want a sand bottom, which is in my 28 gal). I want to use the crushed coral I got, which is used but it was dried out for some time and I rinsed it. The only thing that would be the same in both tanks, is the fluval 305 filter and medium. So, your saying I would create a full cycle? Yikes! I can't have that. Taking substrate from a SW won't help? I'm matching the salinity in the new tank, with what is in the old, which is 1.012. I've started in guy in freshwater, and it's been about 2 1/2 months, and I'm at this salinity, but I'm battling a small nitrite reading. Thanks for your help!!

Gwen

Gwen

GwenInNM 09-15-2012 08:01 AM

Here are my readings in my 68 gallon tank, with no fish. This surprises me I have nitrates already. I'm used to cycling FW and that takes weeks. What does this mean for my tank? Remember I put in "used" dead rock and substrate (rinsed) but I've added no other means of "waste"

ph 8.2
ammonia 0.25ppm
nitrite 0
nitrate 10ppm

Thanks!!

Reefing Madness 09-15-2012 10:41 AM

You don't need to add anything to start a cycle, as you can see, it does it all by itself. Trates from your substrate form old tank? Is that what you used? Also, if you threw your filter on there, it will have some Trates in there also. But no worries, these are all good things, the bio load that thing has on it alone should make quick work of a cycle.

GwenInNM 09-15-2012 10:51 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 09-15-2012 11:07 AM

Good to know. Reading today .025 ammonia. 0 nitrites 10ppm nitrates. Substrate is not from old tank. Got arogite sand for free. Hearing different things. Does salinity have to b at fullsrine for live coral? If so what level?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reefing Madness 09-15-2012 11:10 AM

Live Corals yes, you should keep it at 1.025-1.026.
Also, I might add to test for these levels also if yoiu plan on Reefing it up.
ALK-8-12
Magnesium- 1200-1400
Calcium- 400-460
Phosphate- less than .01

GwenInNM 09-15-2012 11:12 AM

Oops. Should read full marine :)
Posted via Mobile Device