Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   I've lost a Barb (chapter two) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/ive-lost-barb-chapter-two-114152/)

Cehszar 09-13-2012 03:21 AM

I've lost a Barb (chapter two)

Last sunday I found one of my Barbs dead, with no apparently cause, although, without knowing the water parameters, now I know the temp is 75F, NH3 NH 4 is on 0 ppm, NO2 are in 5 ppm, NO3 5 ppm and pH 7.6. and still don't know why He died.
I use to keep the bubble wand open all the time in a low "speed"; however, today there was no bubbles in all day, at the end of the day I added 4 fishes more (green Barbs) and 4 live plants, about three hours after I noticed that one of the black mollies have a white stuff around both eyes and one of the Yoyo loach was laying on the gravel aside the Anubia. So I started the Melafix and returned to open only one of the 14" bubble wand (it's 4' tank), less than 30 minutes the Yoyo was swimming again, I have a large live stock 9 mollies, 6 zebra danios, 8 Barbs, 3 dwarf gouramies, 3 yoyo loaches and 1 CAE. in a 55 gal tank. The live plants are 1 Anubia barteri (nana), 1 Ludwigia arcuata, 1 Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and 1 Dracaena sanderiana.

1077 09-13-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cehszar (Post 1241337)
Last sunday I found one of my Barbs dead, with no apparently cause, although, without knowing the water parameters, now I know the temp is 75F, NH3 NH 4 is on 0 ppm, NO2 are in 5 ppm, NO3 5 ppm and pH 7.6. and still don't know why He died.
I use to keep the bubble wand open all the time in a low "speed"; however, today there was no bubbles in all day, at the end of the day I added 4 fishes more (green Barbs) and 4 live plants, about three hours after I noticed that one of the black mollies have a white stuff around both eyes and one of the Yoyo loach was laying on the gravel aside the Anubia. So I started the Melafix and returned to open only one of the 14" bubble wand (it's 4' tank), less than 30 minutes the Yoyo was swimming again, I have a large live stock 9 mollies, 6 zebra danios, 8 Barbs, 3 dwarf gouramies, 3 yoyo loaches and 1 CAE. in a 55 gal tank. The live plants are 1 Anubia barteri (nana), 1 Ludwigia arcuata, 1 Lilaeopsis brasiliensis and 1 Dracaena sanderiana.

NO2 (nitrites) reading you measured is toxic to fishes, and is probable contributer to death of the barb and possibly other's as well.
Water changes of fifty % once a day should lower the NO2 and keep other fishes from harm.

Cehszar 09-18-2012 08:58 PM

Has been 6 days today, doing daily water changes (30%), and they keeps still on 5 ppm, I've tested my tap water and the nitrites are on 0 ppm, the nitrates on 5 ppm, ammonia 0 ppm and pH on 7.2.
I'm using Melafix since 6 days ago due to a black molly with pop eye (I have no hospital tank).

Cehszar 10-07-2012 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally!, all the efforts has been rewarded !!

it has been almost one month I've been dealing with high Nitrites, now finally I'm seeing the results of all the partial water changes; and I guess all the plants I've planted has been some part of the solution.

Romad 10-07-2012 08:37 PM

Yay :blueyay: Glad things have leveled out for you.

Cehszar 10-07-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1268673)
Yay :blueyay: Glad things have leveled out for you.

Thanks Romad!
it's not too hard to make the water changes, since the vacuum system I have is really easy to use, but I must confess; I thought it were to be faster !, sorry for my boys, they're eating once day :-(