Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Fish TB (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fish-tb-114027/)

fishysrfun 09-11-2012 07:28 PM

Fish TB

Hi all,
I recently learned about fish tb and how humans can get it and I'll admit it freaked me out. So after a google search of it almost every source says something different so i have a few questions. So is there anyone out there who has had it or knows a lot about it who can answer a few questions?
- How long does it last out of water?
- How easy is it for a human to get it?
- Has anyone here gotten it?
- If so what happened?
Thanks

fishysrfun 09-14-2012 12:09 AM

Anyone?

Freshcatch 09-14-2012 11:02 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I would defer to others to answer your questions. I know very little about it, but enough to know I don't want my fish to get it or me either! It is usually fatal for the fish, and all of your equipment has to be disinfected with Calcium Hypochlorite. It can be transferred to humans through breaks in the skin. I have been doing aquariums for years, and I have never come across it. Just be careful where you buy your fish and quarantine them for the appropriate amount of time before introducing them to your main aquarium and you should be fine. :demented:

Fredsterbit 09-14-2012 11:27 PM

From what I've read, once fish get tb, some people destroy everything or bleach everything that was in the tank. VERY few people have gotten fish tb, though it sounds pretty scary. Just watch for tell tale signs of fish tb (which are random... just try not to get sick fish for a community tank). Yea, that much I know.

Olympia 09-14-2012 11:53 PM

You'll only get it with a compromised immune system, through cuts on your hands. I'm pretty sure it's just some sort of rash that goes away eventually.

fishysrfun 09-15-2012 10:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the help, maybe i'll wear gloves from now on.

Freshcatch 09-15-2012 01:25 PM

You can... they make arm length gloves so you never get wet. I know the people with compromised immune systems are told by medical personnel not to mess with fish, or have any new pets while they are in treatment.

fishysrfun 09-16-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshcatch (Post 1244066)
You can... they make arm length gloves so you never get wet. I know the people with compromised immune systems are told by medical personnel not to mess with fish, or have any new pets while they are in treatment.

I don't have a compromised immune system, but id rather be safe than sorry

GreyHounD 09-17-2012 06:21 PM

After I read that fish has TB I started to cough after siphoning!

Such a silly me! B-)

fishysrfun 09-17-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyHounD (Post 1246856)
After I read that fish has TB I started to cough after siphoning!

Such a silly me! B-)

:-D