Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   fish that don't like bright light (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/fish-dont-like-bright-light-113999/)

aklick 09-11-2012 02:56 PM

fish that don't like bright light

to start here is what I have:

50 Gallon tank:
single tube T5 light with 6,500k
no filter other then a sponge filter.

Plants:

Dwarf Sagittaria
Riccia Fluitan
Taiwan Moss
Leopard Valisneria

I also have 5 bristlnose longfin plecos.

The fish I'm researching appears to not like bright light so that means I will need floating plants. If I have floating plants how will the rest of my plants get light? Would I need to chose plants that don't need a lot of light?

The fish I'm looking into are Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids with maybe some pencilfish or other fish that are listed as "good tank mates".

Tankfull Tropicals 09-11-2012 03:05 PM

Most fish appreciate lower light levels. The plants you have will need mod. - strong lighting to thrive.

aklick 09-11-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tankfull Tropicals (Post 1239062)
Most fish appreciate lower light levels. The plants you have will need mod. - strong lighting to thrive.

Thanks it appears all but the ricca need medium light. I think that's something I can work with! I might have to float the Ricca and use it as a floating plant and just thin it out when it gets to thick. I will likely have to wait a month or 2 to let my plants grow before I get fish. right now I don't have enough floating plants for fish that like low to moderate light

fishkid 09-11-2012 06:13 PM

I have no experience with apistos, but pencilfish are fine with bright lights. I have some rocket pencilfish in a tank with 2 T5HO and 1 T8 bulb, and they hang out near the surface. The whole tank doesn't needed to be shaded. Just have some parts shaded available for the fish that can't handle bright lights to go to.

aklick 09-11-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishkid (Post 1239364)
I have no experience with apistos, but pencilfish are fine with bright lights. I have some rocket pencilfish in a tank with 2 T5HO and 1 T8 bulb, and they hang out near the surface. The whole tank doesn't needed to be shaded. Just have some parts shaded available for the fish that can't handle bright lights to go to.

Thanks! Part shade is a great idea.

beetlebz 09-12-2012 12:39 AM

You folks reached the decision that I would have. In my 55 I have a sponge filter and a small hob for buffering media. The currents that are generated by the filters corral my water sprite to the front of the tank, leaving the back open for brighter light. It works really well!

aklick 09-13-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 1239994)
You folks reached the decision that I would have. In my 55 I have a sponge filter and a small hob for buffering media. The currents that are generated by the filters corral my water sprite to the front of the tank, leaving the back open for brighter light. It works really well!

I've noticed this happening with my Ricca so that will work well! Only issue is I don't have many floating plants at the moment so I'll either have to buy more or wait for my Ricca to get bigger.

beetlebz 09-13-2012 10:13 AM

I've never raised ricca, but if it's anything like water sprite you won't have to wait long lol I throw out about half of a 5 gallon bucket every 2 or 3 months!
Posted via Mobile Device

aklick 09-13-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz (Post 1241430)
I've never raised ricca, but if it's anything like water sprite you won't have to wait long lol I throw out about half of a 5 gallon bucket every 2 or 3 months!
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah Ricca is known to grow fast! I have a 50 gallon tank and my Ricca is the size of a golf ball right now!

corwinlame 09-18-2012 12:39 AM

According to me the Downoi or “Little Star” plant is very nice and simple to keep. It wants shiny light but will flourish in lower-light circumstances. It grows to about 4 inches wide. This can be best option for you.