Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bronze cory eggs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bronze-cory-eggs-11397/)

southafrica1001 01-31-2008 09:14 AM

Bronze cory eggs?

ive found some white eggs on my plant and im convinced their bronze cory eggs, i have cardinal tetras and pleco but they pleco arent old enough to breed and ive heard that cardinal and neon tetras are really difficult to breed. I have two bronze cories and one is not very colourful but more grey and she has a much rounder body, my other cory has much more bronze and isint as big.
Ive heard the fry are easy to raise are they? oh and any tips on when they should hatch, some people say 4 -5 days others say 4-8 days. And one more question will she lay (if thats the correct term) more eggs as thats what ive also read lol :D

oh and i have them in a net right know, im going to buy a breeding net tomorow its my only option i do want them to survive so im not going to risk leaving them in my main tank, but my baby tank is having a velvet outbreack, and the fry are large enough to eat newborn fry.

sorry for such along post :oops:

Falina 01-31-2008 11:50 AM

If you have a spare 15 minutes, have a read through this thread:

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6280

it's my sort of documentary on when my cories spawned, and how I raised the babies.

To answer the questions you asked however, it does sound like they are cory eggs, but remember that they can lay eggs without them being fertalised. If they're not fertalised, they will turn white after a day or 2 and you should remove them.

Mine hatched in approx 3-4 days, but I too have heard that it can take longer.

The fry are not difficult to raise, but they can be delicate so water quality is of HUGE importance. Feed baby brine shrimp, egg yolk mixture and after a few days try some crushed flakes as well.

The breeding nt should be alright for them for a while, but not long term. Ideally yo'll have them out of there ASAP but for a week it will be OK. Make sure when you do move them that the water they are in is top quality and DEFINTELY 100% fully cycled.

Anymore questions just ask. :)

southafrica1001 01-31-2008 01:01 PM

thanks falina that helped but the eggs are already white (well clearish) does that mean they may not be fertilized?

okiemavis 01-31-2008 03:13 PM

Well, it DOES sound like your bronze cory is in the mood :P

Perhaps you could find a male bronze cory and add him to the tank? I've just heard that Schwartz basically don't breed in captivity, so i'm feeling like a hybrid between the two is unlikely.

Falina 01-31-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiemavis
Well, it DOES sound like your bronze cory is in the mood :P

Perhaps you could find a male bronze cory and add him to the tank? I've just heard that Schwartz basically don't breed in captivity, so i'm feeling like a hybrid between the two is unlikely.

I didn't see anything about Schwartz in the post. Is this perhaps something from a different post that is linked? I agree that they would not interbreed, but it's entirey possible that the 2 bronze cories have bred.

If they are transparent then this is fine, but if thy are white then they will not hatch and have went mouldy, in which case you should remove them.

southafrica1001 01-31-2008 11:25 PM

Thanks falina, and i dont have a schwartz cory lol but i think you mixed it up with holly's post that asks if her cory is a schwartz, and if it could of laid the eggs she found :D. two of the eggs have a small black dot in them promising or not?

i do remeber seeing the two bronze cories really close two each other the other day and chasing each other round

thanks again

okiemavis 01-31-2008 11:33 PM

Ahh, I've been out of my mind all day, sorry! I mixed your post up with one by Holly that was posted right before yours. I guess the corys are really excited lately tho, as there's been a lot of egg-laying going on :)

southafrica1001 01-31-2008 11:35 PM

hehe its ok we all make mistakes. that was wierd as i edited my post to say i think you could of mixed it up with holly's post you posted hehe :D

southafrica1001 02-02-2008 05:58 AM

ok ive moved the leaf with the eggs into the breeding net but most of them are brown, what does that mean? the others are white so ill have to get rid of those ones.

southafrica1001 02-02-2008 07:08 AM

omg im so sorry to triple post but ...
THEYVE HATCHED hehe i was changing the water and when i loooked to check on the eggs i saw a whole load of little fry scuttling around OMG they are so cute hehe :D:D:D:D