Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   small snise guppy at bottom of tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/small-snise-guppy-bottom-tank-113967/)

Ashtreelogger 09-11-2012 03:21 AM

small snise guppy at bottom of tank

so two days ago i finally set up my guppy/tetra tank and i got 2 sunrise taquila sunrise guppies and 3 tetras for my 10 gallon.now one of the guppies is sitting at the bottom of the tank being active maybe once in awhile than back at the bottom of the tank and he is very new.i had a neon tetra die this morning i will admit i put a little to much food in the tank but quickly did a water change and got whatever extra food that was in the tank out.my question is though with the guppy i am wondering if he is sitting at the bottom because the other guppy is picking on him cause he did bully him a bit when i first added them in the tank and saw he had a torn tail like other fish have been nipping at it but i don't know if that was when he was still in the store,or the other guppy was bulling him when they were in the bag or what caused it i just noticed yesterday.i am just being cautious cause these fish have been in the tank since saturday evening and i did a water change yesterday morning cause that tank had been cycling for a week and was loosing water so i added a bit of new clean water.i will admit that i have a feeling this little guy won't make it but i would like some advice for future reverance.i just bought them and one guppy is very active and thw two surving tetras are very active too.they're pretty small fish so looking athem in that 10 gallon baffles me on how a small fish needs a larg e tank but looks can be decieving.i do plan to get two more guppies and one more tera cause they are schooling fish but i am adding nooooooooo females i i wish to avoid the little fry babies as much as possible.anyway i'm just looking for advice and maybe some help to keep the little guys healthy and happy.

also i notice one fish tried to jump but just lept then fell back in the water so i just assumed it was trying to escape

Ashtreelogger 09-11-2012 03:26 AM

aaaaaand the guppy died right after i posted this -__________-

marshallsea 09-11-2012 12:41 PM

[quote=Ashtreelogger;1238647]so two days ago i finally set up my guppy/tetra tank and i got 2 sunrise taquila sunrise guppies and 3 tetras for my 10 gallon.now one of the guppies is sitting at the bottom of the tank being active maybe once in awhile than back at the bottom of the tank and he is very new.i had a neon tetra die this morning i will admit i put a little to much food in the tank but quickly did a water change and got whatever extra food that was in the tank out.my question is though with the guppy i am wondering if he is sitting at the bottom because the other guppy is picking on him cause he did bully him a bit when i first added them in the tank and saw he had a torn tail like other fish have been nipping at it but i don't know if that was when he was still in the store,or the other guppy was bulling him when they were in the bag or what caused it i just noticed yesterday.i am just being cautious cause these fish have been in the tank since saturday evening and i did a water change yesterday morning cause that tank had been cycling for a week and was loosing water so i added a bit of new clean water.i will admit that i have a feeling this little guy won't make it but i would like some advice for future reverance.i just bought them and one guppy is very active and thw two surving tetras are very active too.they're pretty small fish so looking athem in that 10 gallon baffles me on how a small fish needs a larg e tank but looks can be decieving.i do plan to get two more guppies and one more tera cause they are schooling fish but i am adding nooooooooo females i i wish to avoid the little fry babies as much as possible.anyway i'm just looking for advice and maybe some help to keep the little guys healthy and happy.

also i notice one fish tried to jump but just lept then fell back in the water so i just assumed it was trying to escape[/Your tank is not cycled. It takes up to 8 weeks to fully cycle, or longer. Read up on the nitrogen cycle.

Ashtreelogger 09-11-2012 01:53 PM

8 weeks? i thought cycling varied?

marshallsea 09-11-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtreelogger (Post 1239041)
8 weeks? i thought cycling varied?

It can vary up to 12 weeks. Mine took every bit of 10 weeks. Even at a month it won't have cycled. At one week there's no way. You should do daily water changes since you have fish in. If you can add fast growing live plants , it will help your fish greatly. Plants will absorb the ammonia that the uncycled tank can't.

Ashtreelogger 09-11-2012 04:01 PM

i have moss balls in there.if i do that want plants would go best with neons and guppies?i do keep an air pump in there

marshallsea 09-11-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtreelogger (Post 1239208)
i have moss balls in there.if i do that want plants would go best with neons and guppies?i do keep an air pump in there

I don't know about different plants. I bought a bunch of different ones but none turned out to be fast growing. You can go to the plant section and ask, someone can fill you in. An air pump strips the C02 from the water and will keep plants from growing optimally.You will also need grow lights, but I'm also not one to give advise on that.

marshallsea 09-11-2012 05:04 PM

Or if you know someone with an established tank you can take filter media from that tank and put it in yours.

Ashtreelogger 09-11-2012 09:56 PM

wait you mean take their water and put it in mine? or you mean the filter cartridges?

marshallsea 09-12-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashtreelogger (Post 1239868)
wait you mean take their water and put it in mine? or you mean the filter cartridges?

Filter cartridges, one that has been in an established tank . Beneficial bacteria live on the surface of all things in a tank. And since the filter cartridge is force fed tank water, there is a high concentration of bacteria on the cartridge, just don't let the cartridge dry out. Transport it as you would a fish, in its tank water.