Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Rasboras dying and ram has white eye! help!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/rasboras-dying-ram-has-white-eye-113873/)

Tali 09-10-2012 09:36 AM

Rasboras dying and ram has white eye! help!!!

Hi,
I have a fully cycled 20 gallon long tank that is lightly planted with large rocks and sand. I put 2 bolivian rams in first for almost 2 weeks and when i was happy they were getting along an d eating i added more fish. I put in 6 harlequin rasboras and then 2 coolie loaches. One ram got a cloudy eye so i did more water changes but my water is fine nitrates ok nitrites 0 amonia 0. One rasbora was a bit pale and died 2 ays after i got them, then one got a red dot by its side and died the next day and today i found one dead that seemed totally fine. The ram with the white eye eats swims and seems totally fine. Any ideas what going on? ANy help would be great! Thanks

GwenInNM 09-10-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tali (Post 1237326)
Hi,
I have a fully cycled 20 gallon long tank that is lightly planted with large rocks and sand. I put 2 bolivian rams in first for almost 2 weeks and when i was happy they were getting along an d eating i added more fish. I put in 6 harlequin rasboras and then 2 coolie loaches. One ram got a cloudy eye so i did more water changes but my water is fine nitrates ok nitrites 0 amonia 0. One rasbora was a bit pale and died 2 ays after i got them, then one got a red dot by its side and died the next day and today i found one dead that seemed totally fine. The ram with the white eye eats swims and seems totally fine. Any ideas what going on? ANy help would be great! Thanks

Cloudy eye is usually caused by poor water conditions. Tell us more than your nitrates are "ok". What is the level, and are you using liquid test kit or strips? You want nitrates below 20ppm and no more than 10ppm is better. Strips are not reliable. If you over feed you may be causing your water conditions to be poor, or you don't have enough filtration going etc. Adding fish to quickly if your tank is not well established can lead to water quality problems. Keep monitoring, and do frequent water changes. Melafix works real well for cloudy eye and is safe. Get some of that and start treating the entire tank, or if you have a quarartine tank you can just treat the effected fish.

Gwen

Tali 09-10-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1238296)
Cloudy eye is usually caused by poor water conditions. Tell us more than your nitrates are "ok". What is the level, and are you using liquid test kit or strips? You want nitrates below 20ppm and no more than 10ppm is better. Strips are not reliable. If you over feed you may be causing your water conditions to be poor, or you don't have enough filtration going etc. Adding fish to quickly if your tank is not well established can lead to water quality problems. Keep monitoring, and do frequent water changes. Melafix works real well for cloudy eye and is safe. Get some of that and start treating the entire tank, or if you have a quarartine tank you can just treat the effected fish.

Gwen

The tank was used for my koi as we set up our pond and then i added things for a community tank. so its been set up for about 2 months. I am using strips but im thinking the fish are not eating all the food since ill see some on the sand that is slowly eaten through the day then at night the loaches go to town. So maybe i need something to eat up the extra food during the day. My other tank has cory cats and they clean everything up with my shrimp so i have never had this problem. I will get some melafix tomorrow and feed less till all is well and i can get some shrimp in. Thanks!