Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   :D Just got an Amazon Sword! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/d-just-got-amazon-sword-113803/)

Pearl2011 09-09-2012 04:00 PM

:D Just got an Amazon Sword!

Just got an Amazon Sword for my 25g (right now in a 3.5 ATM) and I love it!! And I do know how big they get, that was one reason I chose it.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to make it grow more before I out it in the big tank? Should I expect it to die off then come back or will it just continue on? There is one leaf the looks like the stem is broken, should I just cut it off or leave it? It has a little hole it that leaf too.

-Cass

Boredomb 09-09-2012 04:21 PM

If the leave/stem is broke I would cut the whole leave and stem off at the base right by the crown. As for the plan dieing off and coming back that depends if it has emersed leaves or submerged leaves on it. If it has emersed leaves then yes those leaved will melt and new ones will grow back in their place once the plant has settled in. Just give it plentiful of nutrients by both root tablets and liquid fertilizer and it will grow just fine.

Pearl2011 09-09-2012 04:42 PM

I looked submerged to me. Same thing for Amazon frog bit? It probably wont have any ferts in the next 2 weeks or so.

Boredomb 09-09-2012 05:22 PM

Are the leaves roundish or more narrow and pointy? If they are roundish they are emersed leaves. I have never had Frogbit soo not sure about it. It will need fertilizer as well. Well as soon as you get some I would dose that day.

Pearl2011 09-09-2012 07:52 PM

I'll do that. I'm not 100% when I'll be at the LFS next time, but will nutrafin plant gro work? They have Flourish Excel and Flourish Plant Supplement, but it is 8.99 for 100ml. How mush would you use? 100 seems like nothing and the 500ml is 20$ so I'd never be able to get that for a long while.

Boredomb 09-10-2012 12:58 AM

How big is you tank? 5 mls of flourish is the dosage for a 60 gallon tank. Am thinking Nutrafin plant gro isn't a well rounded fertilizer but could be wrong?

Chesh 09-10-2012 01:13 AM

Boredomb is right, The Flourish Comprehensive is the way to go. I've actually compared the ingredients with several other ferts, and it really has the best mix of everything that the plants need. If it makes you feel any better expense-wise, I'm STILL on my first bottle of the stuff that I got way back in February, and I have had anywhere between 4-6 well-planted tanks running at the same time since then, lol! 5ml for 60 gallons goes a looooooong way - especially if you have smaller tanks!

Frogbit is very EASY plant to keep, and great for soaking up any toxins in the tank! Because of this it's a nutrient hog - so it will definitely need to be helped along with some ferts. Just because the LFS put a sword underwater when they got it doesn't mean it was grown that way - unless it's been in their tank for a while, the possibility is still there, but it'll probably be fine. Just keep in mind - if the leaves start to die off and grow back looking a little bit different, that means it was grown out of the water and it's adjusting. Leave the roots alone while it changes it's clothes, and it should bounce back very well! If you want it in the bigger tank, put it in there soon so that you don't have to disturb it's roots and it can just settle right in. Root tabs are a must for swords - they usually won't do very well without them because they feed from their roots and don't do as good of a job getting 'food' from the water column.

Very excited for your new plants, Pearl! Even if they speak. . . French? ;)