Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 3D background! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-3d-background-113797/)

Boredomb 09-09-2012 03:25 PM

New 3D background!

4 Attachment(s)
I have been wanting something different then just a black background for awhile now. I started weeks ago looking on how to make one. After looking at pictures and researching I finally can up with something like this:
Attachment 64189

Attachment 64190

Attachment 64191

Attachment 64192

Its still going to be a week or so before I actually use it. Right now I have it in mock up tank. That tank has a small leak on the bottom and don't feel like fixing it. So I used it as mock up tank. Now the question is it displaces about 10 gallons of water making my 55 gallon a 45 gallon in reality. I have 5 Angelfish in my "show" tank that this background is going to go in. I have been thinking about rehoming the Angels anyways as they are getting older and starting to show aggression towards each other. So after I rehome them what type of fish would you get????
Water runs as such GH =10-12 (can't remember exact number) Ph=7.4. I want to stay with small fish. I have even gone as far as thinking of mixing my water with RO water to making it softer.

onefish2fish 09-09-2012 03:55 PM

what did you end up using? foam with sand?

i like the sticks coming out, looks like roots

Boredomb 09-09-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 1236284)
what did you end up using? foam with sand?

i like the sticks coming out, looks like roots

Yes, It is foam with sand stuck to it then sealed in epoxy. I was going for a creek bed look with roots sticking out. Once it actually has a sand bottom and some plants I think it will look awesone!

Boredomb 09-09-2012 06:38 PM

I toyed around with the idea of making it a RCS and a Dwarf Puffer tank. I dunno though. I would like a big shoal of some type of small fish just don't what? Still trying to figure out the layout of the tank as far as plants dr in my driftwood. and/or rocks in my head. Which is a scary thought! LoL

emeraldsky 09-09-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1236583)
I toyed around with the idea of making it a RCS and a Dwarf Puffer tank. I dunno though. I would like a big shoal of some type of small fish just don't what? Still trying to figure out the layout of the tank as far as plants dr in my driftwood. and/or rocks in my head. Which is a scary thought! LoL

The puffers would probably find the RCS delicious :P

Can't help with the fish choice unfortunately, but the background looks really nice!

Boredomb 09-09-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 1236820)
The puffers would probably find the RCS delicious :P

Yes The DPs will eat the RCSs but just the babies and not all of them. The DPs would work as a population control but won't wipe them out either as long as there is a healthy colony of RCSs there first.

SalamanderBHat 09-09-2012 11:45 PM

Wow, that's pretty freaking awesome. Looks like it took plenty of work! I'd really like to see what it looks like with fish and plants in it!

Chesh 09-09-2012 11:58 PM

John this is so NEAT!!! How do you go about making something like this, even? I can't wait to see it in a planted tank, it's going to be something different, that's for sure!

You know I have soft water, so I'm not really going to be much help with stocking. . . hmmm. . .

have you considered rainbow fish? Or some glass cats would be really cool in a tank like this! Barbs, Dannio, Killifish. . . and of course live-bearers are always an option for a tank with harder-water. . . but I KNOW you really want that Puffer tank - have for some time, right?

Keep us posted, please? I really am excited to see what you do with this one!!!

Boredomb 09-09-2012 11:58 PM

Yes it took some work and patience! That's for sure. LoL

Chesh 09-10-2012 12:03 AM

so THIS is what you do when you're on vacation, eh??? Fantastic! http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/v...f?t=1347237913