Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Selling fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/selling-fry-11374/)

abbye 01-30-2008 06:26 PM

Selling fry

I have a lot of fry at the moment in a breeding net, they've only been there for just under a month. Will pet shops buy fish from me, and how big will they need to be? I have a 60litre tank which is quite wide but not huge with 12 other fish and around 50 fry, so I will soon be very overpopulated as they grow! I don't want to release any to get eaten. (I have another breeding net so I separate the fry in two batches to give them more room to grow, but I am currently using the other one to isolate an aggressive fish) Also, how many normal-sized fish will my tank hold reasonably?

crazy4fish 01-30-2008 06:43 PM

most pet shops will only take fry when they are at a sellable size which is usually almost grown. but some will take younger fry, you would have to call your lfs and find out. what kind of fish are the fry? and what else do you have in your tank? (this will help to figure out how much room you have left for fry.) i would also think about returning the aggresive fish to your lfs and using the net for the fry. what kind of fish is the agressive one? some one on fishforum might be able to take it or buy it. think about posting it on the classifieds. :wink:

abbye 01-30-2008 07:07 PM

I have 2 male and 6 female platies (though one female is only a few months old so still small and one male just didn't ever grow very big so he is very small, the other females are big and always pregnant) with 1 huge female molly, 1 male dwarf gourami and 3 jumbo neon tetras. The fry appear to be a mixture of mollies and platies but mainly mollies. I'm not going to get rid of the aggressive fish because he was one of the first two fish I got (in August) and I like him, I just want him to calm down a little bit, though he is fine with the others and only has a problem with the two I mentioned. He only started being aggressive to them recently and was always very well-behaved before! I find that whenever you remove one aggressive fish, another will take its place and become the dominant one, so there's little point removing it! : )

abbye 01-30-2008 07:08 PM

The aggressive one is a male sunset platy. I have only put him in there this week and plan to take him out soon.

abbye 01-30-2008 07:11 PM

Sorry I just realised I was getting confused with what info I had given as I have posted another topic - see 'naughty platy' under the livebearers section for info about the aggressive one! : )[/i]

crazy4fish 01-30-2008 07:16 PM

i would see how big the fry have to be for your lfs to take them and just try to either keep them in the tank you have or buy a smaller tank for fry only(and when/if you dont have fry you could use it as a medicine or isolation tank). you might have to start leaving some fry in the tank if you dont have room unfortunately. :cry: i wish you the best of luck!

abbye 01-31-2008 10:49 AM

Thanks for your advice : ) I may invest in a smaller tank, might be nice to have two!

fish_4_all 01-31-2008 12:23 PM

My LFS won't take them until they are 1 inch long. I tried to breed swords and cories for them but I didn't have the room to keep them to that size.

crazy4fish 01-31-2008 04:16 PM

trust me you wont mind having 2 tanks. i think that is the best way to go :wink:

jr.masterbreeder 02-06-2008 11:34 AM

My fish stores in iowa wont buy them but they will gladly take them off your hands. you cant seem too desperate though if you want money. Just show them that you need to get rid of some fish.