Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Getting new tank soon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/getting-new-tank-soon-113726/)

Misomie 09-08-2012 10:30 PM

Getting new tank soon

I'm looking into upgrading my 20 gallon to a larger tank (since it's current inhabitants are almost too big for it). I want to set up a large tank with a pond-like theme with goldfish. It'll contain two comet goldfish (that were originally impulsed and to be rehomed in the future) and a crayfish. I'll also like to add some more goldfish but I'm not sure how many it can safely sustain. Can someone who has experience with goldfish tell me what kinds/how many I can add to each of these tank sizes: 55 Gallon, 75 Gallon, and 100 Gallon? Thanks. :3

Blackfeet 09-09-2012 12:04 AM

Goldfish are 1 for every 5 gallons in an aquarium and 1 for every 50 gallons. I am not sure when the size plays a role in the calculations but I think they have to be over 4 inches

thekoimaiden 09-09-2012 06:38 PM

If you want comets, you should go with a tank longer than 6 feet. Those guys really like to swim and fast. Standard glass tanks that come in this size are the 125 gal, 150 gal, and 180 gal. Of course, bigger is always better with goldfish.

In a 55 gallon (which is only 4 feet long), you can't do any more than four fancies. It becomes very hard to keep the nitrates at manageable levels beyond that. Swimming room also becomes a problem at those stocking levels as even the fancy varieties can grow 8 inches long (not including tail). They are big and clumsy and need room to maneuver.

In a 75 gal (which is the same length and width as the 55 gallon), you could do six fancies. But I would build the stocking levels up slowly and keep an eye on nitrates. They are toxic to fish in high levels. Plants are helpful at keeping these down, but not all goldfish cooperate with you on this.

Comets grow larger than fancies are are more active than them. One or two could be kept in a 4 foot tank for a few months, but you'll soon find them bouncing off the walls and bumping into the fancies.

Also, I'm not too sure the crayfish is a good idea with the cumbersome fancies. I don't think they could move fast enough to get out of his way.

Misomie 09-10-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks. :3

I listed those tank sizes because they'll be the easiest to find in my area.

I measured out my room and a six foot tank would fit (then I'll have a wall of two huge tanks XD) with a rearrangement of my room. With this rearrangement, I'll be able to keep my 20 gallon up so if I really want fancies I can keep my cray separate (I was worried about if he'd try to snag their long fins). Keeping the 20 up will also make it easier to plant the larger tank (I was thinking about adding glass walls to prevent him from getting at the plants).

So I'll hold out for the first 125 gallon then. Also, how would Dojo loaches do with the goldfish? (they seem to have similar requirements)

thekoimaiden 09-10-2012 09:35 PM

:P Lucky! I wish I had room for a 125 gal.

Dojo loaches will work with goldfish. Just make sure to keep the loaches in groups as they are very social critters. They'll probably do better with the fast commons rather than the slow fancies as loaches have a habit of darting around the aquarium. They will appreciate a sand substrate as they like to burrow.

Misomie 09-10-2012 09:46 PM

Now I just have to wait for someone to sell one. XD (there are two 180 gallons up right now, but I don't see how I can make one of those beasts fit without completely rearranging the room. XP)

I was hoping that would be the case. :3 I was thinking of a school of five (or more) and already planning for black sand. :3

This is going to look so awesome when it's done. :D

thekoimaiden 09-10-2012 10:32 PM

Not to mention the floor support that is needed for those monsters. I'd love one, but a 150 gal is probably about as large as I will be able to go.

Black sand looks great with light colored dojos and goldfish just pop on it. You'll have a beautiful tank when done! Please show us pictures!

Misomie 09-11-2012 01:06 AM

lol, of course, that'd be a huge strain on the poor floor. Stupid gravity certainly wears down on the floors and limits the possibilities. :K

That's what I was thinking with my current comets as they are both red and white and will show up gorgeously. :D