Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   swordtail female hanging out on substrate (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/swordtail-female-hanging-out-substrate-113700/)

djembekah 09-08-2012 08:44 PM

swordtail female hanging out on substrate

So on thursday day i picked up 2 female sword tails to entertain my male.

one female is just fine, and swimming actively with my male. the other one doesn't look too hot. I mean, she looks physically fine, no injuries or anything. but she hangs out on the sand, and swims along on her belly, or she hides up in the corner, behind the filter, or under the driftwood.

she looks a little chubby, but i don't think she's pregnant- or at least she doesn't have a gravid spot. She COULD be pregnant of course- she was in a mixed gender tank- but she is probably just barely pregnant if she is.

Is this normal behavior? I feel like its not, but I am new to livebearers.

Tankfull Tropicals 09-08-2012 08:51 PM

No not normal unless she is giving birth; maybe. They usualy prefer to find a quiet Top corner or plants to birth in. Keep an eye on her, look for young hanging out on the surface. She may also just be at the end of her time.

Sakura8 09-08-2012 08:53 PM

If she's on the larger side, yeah. Also, sometimes moving them when they are pregnant seriously stresses them. I've had several livebearers die that way. :( Best of luck with her, Bekah.

djembekah 09-08-2012 09:01 PM

she doesn't seem too big :/ but i will watch her. i'm hopeful that she pulls through though- she's such a pretty yellow and black. i'll watch for young hanging out in the floaters for sure.

Chesh 09-08-2012 09:02 PM

Awww, Bek! *HUGS* You're having such a hard time with your babies this week. . . I hope she pulls through okay.

djembekah 09-08-2012 09:04 PM

thanks Chesh *hug*

that AND Gaebora's fuzzies are popping up again. Gosh these new critters just want to beat the heck out of me! i'd had such good luck for my first 6 months of fish keeping xD

Chesh 09-08-2012 09:17 PM

It's because you're trying to 'save' the rescues. . . You know, you've added quite a few fish in a really short time - have you done a water test recently? I wonder if your parameters may be a bit wobbly from all of the new additions? All of these babies are new to your tanks, they're unsettled and stressed out. This is when problems pop up. Just keep the water clean. . . you're doing all you can for that poor little angel :( I hope she's okay.

Sakura8 09-08-2012 09:34 PM

I've found that livebearers can be really touchy in the first few months. If they make it past that, they're with you for life. *glares in direction of 4 dead swordtails*

As for Gaeb, you're doing a great job. If things look like they aren't getting better with the salt, we can try Furan-2 on him. And if THAT fails, I'll send you some Kanaplex for a 1-2 punch.

djembekah 09-08-2012 09:39 PM

i will test the water, i've been keeping up on twice weekly water changes though- before i just did one a week. i wont add anything else for awhile- still tempted to lose the danios...

Buttercup swam up to rest on some driftwood around feeding time, so I'm hoping that's a sign of good things.

Thanks Sakura- i'll keep an eye out for Furan-2 just in case. I think they have it at the closer pet store...but if not they have it at the one like ten minutes away i thiiiink. I'll have to check.

Sakura8 09-08-2012 09:41 PM

I know Petsmart carries it. If not, I know your address. :)