Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Is my fishtank okay? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/my-fishtank-okay-113677/)

Jrpetkeeper 09-08-2012 04:24 PM

Is my fishtank okay?

I'm a newbie with whats right or wrong for a fish tank, well I've had my tank up and running for over 5 or 6 months now.
It is a 140 Liter tank with:
  • A Chinese algae eater (he was the first one so all the fish had to get only with him)
  • 2 Dwarf honey gourami
  • 12 Glass Catfish
  • 10 Glass Bloodfin Tetras
  • 5 Kuhli Banded loaches
  • 6 Male rainbow threadfins.

DragonFyre14 09-08-2012 06:34 PM

Well... i would say your tank is overstocked. especially since your Chinese Algae eater can get up to 11 inches, Also as they get older they often get very territorial and aggressive. Their name is misleading because they aren't very good algae eaters. so if you are keeping him on the sole purpose of eating algae I would recommend trading him in for 1 or 2 Bristnose Plecos (or rubernose plecos whichever are easier to get your hands on) as they are very good at keeping a tank clean. Other than that your tank is pretty overstocked. Although if the fish have plenty of room to swim around in and don't seem to be fighting this can be fine. just make sure to be doing water changes weekly of at least 50% to combat ammonia build up and other things created by too many fish.

Jrpetkeeper 09-08-2012 06:44 PM

I've had Piper (the Chinese algae eater) for over four years and a half years.
I had a 20 Litter tank with a couple of sword tails but while i was away the person manged to kill all of my fish apart from Piper so I'm not giving him away as I owe him, the tank was horrible when I got it back.

I'm not very worried about him not eating the algae, and I do a 20 - 35% water change each week its been fine so far.

If I get rid of any of my fish It won't be Piper (;
I've read up on the guys and know how bad the Chinese algae eaters are.

DragonFyre14 09-08-2012 06:52 PM

Okay just thought i'd warn you. Other than that your tank is just at stocking capacity. Which basically just means it is going to require more work (cleaning wise) and your fish might not be quite as happy as they could be. do you still have that 20 liter? Now the 20 liter isn't really big enough for the chinese algae eater or even one sword tail is too much for that tank.
With work your tank is fine. just don't get any more fish okay?

Chesh 09-08-2012 07:40 PM

I have to agree that you are overstocked, but as it seems your tank has been running well for 6 months, and everything is going smoothly, I have to assume that you've been doing a good job with keeping things clean and parameters stable for the fish that live here!

My guess is that your Chinese Algae Eater was stunted in growth from being kept in such a small tank. Sad as it is, I agree that you owe it to him to keep him, and as long as he doesn't get too big or too aggressive with his tank-mates, you can work it out in a 37 gallon tank, I think.

One thing to consider is usually fish sold at the shops are juveniles - meaning that they haven't reached their full size yet. It's possible that things don't *seem* crowded in there at this time, but this could change in the future. If it were my tank, I would choose one group of fish - possibly two - to re-home so that the others can thrive. Either that, or start planning an upgrade to a larger tank! Another option would be to get another smaller tank (though larger than your tiny one) to put one of the species into. I *believe* that you could get away with putting the gourami into a 10g tank, and maybe the glass cats, though 10 of them would probably be too many for a tank that small. More research is needed here, but there are options for you!

One question that pops into my mind is what type of water do you have in your tank/tap? Some of these fish are happier in softer water, while a few of the other types prefer hard. Again, were it me, I would check the Gh of my tap water and keep those fish that would be happiest in the water I have. :)

But if you haven't had any issues arise, and your parameters are stable, tank is clean, and nitrates not out of control, you must be doing something right! I hope this helps somewhat - good luck on your tank!

Pearl2011 09-08-2012 08:29 PM

What kind of filter? As long as it is good enough then I dont see a problem. (Minus the CAE, as you already know).
Its like if you have a sponge filter for 30 gallons in a ten gallon tank, you could fit more fish in there then just a 10 gallon sponge filter.

And I love the name! I love the name piper!

Jrpetkeeper 09-08-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl2011 (Post 1234903)
What kind of filter? As long as it is good enough then I dont see a problem. (Minus the CAE, as you already know).
Its like if you have a sponge filter for 30 gallons in a ten gallon tank, you could fit more fish in there then just a 10 gallon sponge filter.

And I love the name! I love the name piper!

Umm, I don't what the different types of filters are but I searched up the of tank and for the filter it said this:

Blue Planet Atlantis 140L HP-LED Aquarium Fish Tank

Filter Box includes; wool, sponge, charcoal and bio balls.
Plus the guy at the pet shop told me to also put in the white stuff?

Haha, thanks I love his name as well :P