Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Tankmates for a pearl gourami (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/tankmates-pearl-gourami-113617/)

Ami 09-07-2012 11:52 PM

Tankmates for a pearl gourami
 
Hi folks,
I have a planted 29G that I plan to convert from a fry tank to a show tank.
I'd like to keep 1 pearl gourami and am thinking of keeping some 8-10 cherry barbs with it. Is this compatible? Or should I get white cloud mountain minnows instead? Or is it better to go for a different kind of gourami? I already have honey gouramis in another 29G planted tank with harlequin rasboras and neon tetras, so I don't want those fish...just looking for something different :-)

Thanks !
Ami

fish monger 09-08-2012 08:14 AM

I like the cherry barb idea.

Tankfull Tropicals 09-08-2012 10:44 AM

Cherrys are a great choice. Rosy Barbs? How bout a female Pearl?

Tankfull Tropicals 09-08-2012 10:48 AM

All your tanks look happy and healthy, great job.

Ami 09-08-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tankfull Tropicals (Post 1234301)
Cherrys are a great choice. Rosy Barbs? How bout a female Pearl?

How can I tell males from female pearl gourami ? I think I'm going to get cherry barbs.

Ami 09-08-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tankfull Tropicals (Post 1234307)
All your tanks look happy and healthy, great job.

Thanks !

Byron 09-11-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ami (Post 1235335)
How can I tell males from female pearl gourami ? I think I'm going to get cherry barbs.

We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the page. For each species, where it is possible to differentiate the sexes, there is info on this.

Generally barbs are not good tankmates for gourami due to the fast/active nature of barbs and the slow sedate nature of gourami. But the cherry is the exception. The Rasbora you have mentioned are ideal tankmates, being relatively slow swimmers. Danio are also not suitable, same reason as barbs.

Be careful on the fish size; I have observed gourami in stores easily corner and eat linear fish like neons.

Byron.

Tankfull Tropicals 09-11-2012 09:14 PM

The anal and dorsal fin on males will be longer and comes to a point compared to a females anal and dorsal fin which is shorter and has a round tip. The female may also be heavier yet smaller. Males have far the nicer colours too. For some reason it is harder to find females in Gouramis.

Ami 09-11-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1239597)
We have fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the page. For each species, where it is possible to differentiate the sexes, there is info on this.

Generally barbs are not good tankmates for gourami due to the fast/active nature of barbs and the slow sedate nature of gourami. But the cherry is the exception. The Rasbora you have mentioned are ideal tankmates, being relatively slow swimmers. Danio are also not suitable, same reason as barbs.

Be careful on the fish size; I have observed gourami in stores easily corner and eat linear fish like neons.

Byron.

Thanks Byron ! I'm glad that cherry barbs are the exception.

jentralala 12-01-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tankfull Tropicals (Post 1239796)
The anal and dorsal fin on males will be longer and comes to a point compared to a females anal and dorsal fin which is shorter and has a round tip. The female may also be heavier yet smaller. Males have far the nicer colours too. For some reason it is harder to find females in Gouramis.


Really? All my LFS carry females but I guess the males just get bought as soon as they come in, I almost never see them here. Just tanks of females cruising around haha.

On differentiating them...Males have a really long dorsal fin compared to females, that's how I always pick them out in store tanks where they are housed with females. They tend to not display their full coloration (especially that gorgeous orange throat) in store tanks due to stress, so it's hard to use color to pick them out of a crowd. But once you get them home, if they like it, they color up beautifully.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2