Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   My fish are sick can you please help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/my-fish-sick-can-you-please-11349/)

ilovemybubbles 01-29-2008 09:37 PM

My fish are sick can you please help?

I have had a 10 gallon tank for a little over a year and have had no problems until now. About a week ago i purchased 5 feeder fish and a "fat goldfish". Already in the tank is a bubbleeye goldfish. Four days ago I noticed white dots on the fish and they are acting funny. Three of the feeder fish have now died. The two that are left like to stay at the bottom of the tank, almost laying there. Today the "fat goldfish" has also started staying at the bottom. BUT, my bubble eye goldfish seems to be staying at the top of the tank almost gasping for air. I have also noticed red bloody looking streaks in his bubbles and on his fins. He also looks as though he is loosing weight. All of the fish are eating. I have been adding QuICK Cure for for days now and it is no change.
Please help!

Cody 01-29-2008 10:18 PM

Re: My fish are sick can you please help?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemybubbles
I have had a 10 gallon tank for a little over a year and have had no problems until now. About a week ago i purchased 5 feeder fish and a "fat goldfish". Already in the tank is a bubbleeye goldfish. Four days ago I noticed white dots on the fish and they are acting funny. Three of the feeder fish have now died. The two that are left like to stay at the bottom of the tank, almost laying there. Today the "fat goldfish" has also started staying at the bottom. BUT, my bubble eye goldfish seems to be staying at the top of the tank almost gasping for air. I have also noticed red bloody looking streaks in his bubbles and on his fins. He also looks as though he is loosing weight. All of the fish are eating. I have been adding QuICK Cure for for days now and it is no change.
Please help!

First, you have WAY to many fish in that 10G. 1 or 2 Goldfish need a 40G, minimum.

Plus, feeder goldfish are full of diseases, which is why they are "feeder". This is probably the cause. Cramped conditions, bad water and disease caused by the feeders.

Zule 01-29-2008 10:24 PM

You really shouldn't have put the feeder fish in there right away. These are usually prone to disease and death because of their conditions. Most pet stores will keep them way overcrowded in a tank that only has the bare minimum of filtration. I know my local Petco has them in a filthy tank that you can barely see into. The overcrowded numbers and overall atmosphere is very stressful for the fish, and they tend to either die a lot sooner than they should, or they carry some sort of problem.

You should have kept them in a quarantine tank for a few weeks to make sure they were healthy, and if they weren't, they could have gotten over whatever it was without infecting your other fish. Personally I have three feeder fish that are healthy and lively, but I didn't add them to my main tank without quarantining them first.

I'm sorry to say I don't know what is wrong with your fish, as I haven't been in the hobby long enough to know much more than a few basic problems. I also apologize for spouting "you should have done this and this" instead of being able to help. :( Keep up what you're doing with the QuICK cure until someone can help you. I hope your fish make it through, good luck.

jeaninel 01-30-2008 01:16 AM

Hello,
Do you have a test kit that you can test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? With all those goldfish in that little tank you probably have a water quality issue.

ilovemybubbles 01-30-2008 10:28 AM

re: sick fish

I see now that the feeder fish are prob the problem. I had a few test strips left and i have used them, sd the water is fine. I have not tested the water in a few days though. The water now does have a yellow tint to it now. I see that i need to get a bigger tank, which I will not be able to get until this weekend. What do I need to do in the mean time? I already have an infected tank, im afraid to change their surroundings too much because of shock.
How often should I change the water and is it best to use bottled?
Are my fish staying at the top because of lack of oxygen or bad water? OR is there some sort of disease other than ICK that tey could have?

Im sorry for all the questions but i have never dealt with a sick fish.

fish_4_all 01-30-2008 12:08 PM

Water changes:
twice a week 50% each time adding dechlor each time. Tap water is fine. Make sure to thoutoughly clean the gravel to remove as much waste as possible. Keep treating and hopefully the water changes and the medication will cure the problem.

I am glad to hear you are willing to get a larger tank and fix the problem. Until you can we will do our best to help the fish survive until their new home is ready.

jeaninel 01-30-2008 12:10 PM

It's good to hear that you will be getting a bigger tank. In the meantime I would do a 50% water change. You can use tap water. Just make sure to use a dechlorinator before adding the fresh water to the tank. This will neutralize any chlorine or chloramine and heavy metals that may be present in the tap water. Goldfish are very messy fish and poop alot. You should probably be doing at least one 50% water change each week.

It would be better if you could get the liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The test strips just aren't very accurate. You could pick up a API master test kit that includes all these. It really is a very essential tool to have when keeping fish to know what your water parameters are. Usually the first questions asked when problems arise are "what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings".

It's hard to say what the cause is. It could be low oxygen content, ammonia, bacterial or parasites. But lethargy, gasping at the surface and red streaks in the fins can be signs of ammonia poisoning. Or it could also be something else like a bacterial infection. Do their gills look red? Any pics?

HTH

Andyandsue 01-31-2008 12:32 AM

The white dots are most likely ich. If you have a heater, raise the temperature and add a little bit of aquarium salt (dissolve it first). Adding some melafix can't hurt since who knows what these feeder fish have.

I agree, liquid test kit. Water changes as much as 50% any time the ammonia or nitrites are high. The water change should include a gravel cleaning (get a siphon at the fish store for this if you don't already have one) because goldfish poop so darn much.

Don't feel too bad. We all make mistakes. I made a similar mistake a long time ago.

ilovemybubbles 01-31-2008 10:19 AM

My bubble eye looks as though the ick is clearing up, no noticible whit bumps on him. His gills do look a little red, not inflamed though. He also is loosing some of his scales now, and his color is really dull. I did a 50% water change with distilled water last nite and clleaned the rocks the best i can without a syphon. My other fish still has noticable white dots on him and it looks as though his fins are smaller than before, is this ick? And what to do about loosing scales and red gills? I tried to take some pics but you cant really tell anything from them, there not coming out to clear.

Thank you for your help