Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I'm leaving for ten days... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/im-leaving-ten-days-113477/)

Stonesy 09-06-2012 03:12 PM

I'm leaving for ten days...

can my tanks go with out food that long. I'm looking for a way to keep these tanks as clean as possible while I'm gone. I have done two water changes today (tomorrow I leave) in hopes I have given them the cleanest water I can provide for them along with a water change previously done the day before. I have ammo lock, would it be wise to administer this between now and the time I get back. I bought the ammo lock for that purpose. However,wanted y'all's opinion. I gave them all a test treatment, the 75 gallon got cloudy. I'm thinking, it may have developed a mini cycle due to the fact I had a previous problem with that after I changed the filters in that tank. Water changes have always cleared the cloudiness up. I guess my question concerning the chemical and the cloudy is if the ammo lock is applied and the tank clouds again, will it ok until I can do water changes on the 20th?

Thanks in advance

Byron 09-06-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonesy (Post 1231713)
can my tanks go with out food that long. I'm looking for a way to keep these tanks as clean as possible while I'm gone. I have done two water changes today (tomorrow I leave) in hopes I have given them the cleanest water I can provide for them along with a water change previously done the day before. I have ammo lock, would it be wise to administer this between now and the time I get back. I bought the ammo lock for that purpose. However,wanted y'all's opinion. I gave them all a test treatment, the 75 gallon got cloudy. I'm thinking, it may have developed a mini cycle due to the fact I had a previous problem with that after I changed the filters in that tank. Water changes have always cleared the cloudiness up. I guess my question concerning the chemical and the cloudy is if the ammo lock is applied and the tank clouds again, will it ok until I can do water changes on the 20th?

Thanks in advance

If the fish are in good health, and mature (i.e., not fry growing) then they will be able to do without food for 10 days. If you have someone reliable to feed them, once or twice, that is OK, but either have a knowledgeable fishkeeper who knows about feeding or leave pre-measured amounts so they don't overfeed. But as I said, healthy fish will be fine.

On the ammo lock, is there a reason you use this? I wouldn't worry about cloudiness, but you don't want ammonia rising. Do you have live plants? And that reminds me of light--leave the tank light off if there are no plants, the fish will be better. If you have plants, use a timer and it wouldn't hurt to lessen the normal photoperiod.

Byron.

Stonesy 09-23-2012 11:10 AM

Sorry for such a late thank you. (takes me days to recoup from travel…) My tanks are healthy regardless of the over stocking, I started doing two water changes 2x a week after y'all had given the good advice to lighten the load. I have had no success with that task. I do have the tanks well planted with all of the fish in hardy health. I wanted the ammo lock to help keep the water "OK" until I could do water changes. I missed two water changes by the time we got home. I did the next changes the day after we got back. I did make feed packs for two days while away so they were fed twice in ten days.

Maybe you could explain to me exactly what ammo lock is used for and how it works…I did read the bottle, but hope you have more then the bottle says. What is the ammonia converted to and what happens then to the converted stuff?

Thanks you, Stonesy

AbbeysDad 09-23-2012 01:06 PM

Like Seachem Prime, Ammo Lock binds ammonia in a non toxic form until the beneficial biology can process it. I would expect that this process, like Prime, is probably only effective for 24-48 hours.
Although product like this can be useful on occasion, I believe that they are not good as a long term strategy. Your tank should develop the appropriate beneficial bacteria colony(ies) sizes to handle the nitrogenous compounds. Obviously there are also other issues with over stocking...even if the tank is heavily planted.

Stonesy 09-24-2012 08:53 AM

Being overstocked is a big problem, I realize that along with all the problems that go with that. This is why I do water changes twice a week. So I guess what I was hoping would keep the water "OK" is not the answer except maybe for two or three days.

I have not had success with finding homes for fish I would like to eliminate because I will have to up-root everything to net up the ones to go. Is there anything out there to help when I'm not here to do the changes? I may have to break down and teach my girlfriend how to do changes…..then I can really worry :|

Byron 09-24-2012 09:45 AM

My comments are general, as I've no idea from this thread what is in the tank or its size, etc.

Keeping the water "OK," whatever one may mean by this, is only pone part of the issue. If an aquarium is over-stocked, the fish in it are being subjected to stress continually 24/7 and this will take its toll at some point; usually it is a cumulative process, bu which I mean that health issues increase [they may not be obvious externally], aggression (or the opposite) may increase, up to the point at which the fish will die prematurely. There is no way around this, except to remove fish or set up a properly-sized tank for the species.

More frequent water changes can "help" but not solve the problem in all cases. The individual behaviours and needs of the fish species cannot be altered, they are programmed into the fish by natural evolution. So, space requirements will remain difficult regardless of water changes. Where more frequent water changes help is by reducing the "crud" [urine, pheromones, allomones, dissolved solid wastes, etc] that naturally and steadily increases in any enclosed space with fish. The more fish, or the larger the fish, the faster the water deteriorates. More water changes reduce this detriment, but the physical space is still an issue that water changes can't solve.

Byron.