Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Shell Dwelling Cichlids! (Also some questions) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-shell-dwelling-cichlids-also-some-113476/)

emeraldsky 09-06-2012 04:07 PM

New Shell Dwelling Cichlids! (Also some questions)

7 Attachment(s)
So last weekend I drove 2 hours to the closest Aquarium Society Meeting and they had an auction for several things and lucky for me, there were 2 bags of Neolamprologus multifasciatus, Shell dwelling cichlids which I have been looking for off and on for several months. The only place I could find them sold them for 12$ a fish, waaaay too pricy for me.

So I won the auction for 10 of them and 20 shells for 18$! :-D

I've fed them some large carnivore pellets that I crushed up but can anyone recommend a good stable flake/pellet food? The carnivore pellets are expensive and messy. The ones I have seem young so something that would help them grow would be appreciated. I'm debating on whether to try live food or not, still a bit squeamish e.e

Also, does anyone know where I can get more shells for pretty cheap?
I have 25 in there now, would definitely like some more.

I have them in a 10 gallon for now, looking for a 15 gallon for sale as which should house them better.
The tank looks pretty barren though so I was also wondering about some possible tankmates?

ALSO PICTURES
Find the fish!
Attachment 63982Attachment 63983Attachment 63986Attachment 63987Attachment 63988Attachment 63989

I also needed to share my dog who hilariously went through the garbage.
Attachment 63981
She apparently supports Arbys.

sidluckman 09-07-2012 06:49 AM

Hilarious.
:rofl:
The dog, I mean.

Once one of my cats got its head stuck in a Kleenex Box. It wasn't as good, though, because I couldn't see its facial expression. My other cats were impressed, though, as it went blindly thumping down the hall with a box on its head.

Poor Filbert!

The Shell Dwellers are cute as buttons.

They won't eat much, so small (very small) pelleted cichlid food (spectrum) would work as a staple. I know the initial cost of a container of Spectrum is somewhat daunting, but so worth it.

Shell dwellers live in pretty barren area of the lake, hence the need to hole up in shells. I won't recommend tankmates since I have not kept these, but some vallisneria might soften up the look of the tank.

What a great deal! Enjoy these beautiful little fish!

emeraldsky 09-07-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidluckman (Post 1232649)
Hilarious.
:rofl:
The dog, I mean.

Once one of my cats got its head stuck in a Kleenex Box. It wasn't as good, though, because I couldn't see its facial expression. My other cats were impressed, though, as it went blindly thumping down the hall with a box on its head.

Poor Filbert!

The Shell Dwellers are cute as buttons.

They won't eat much, so small (very small) pelleted cichlid food (spectrum) would work as a staple. I know the initial cost of a container of Spectrum is somewhat daunting, but so worth it.

Shell dwellers live in pretty barren area of the lake, hence the need to hole up in shells. I won't recommend tankmates since I have not kept these, but some vallisneria might soften up the look of the tank.

What a great deal! Enjoy these beautiful little fish!

Sounds amusing X3

Thank you, I'll look into spectrum. Do you know if they make a sinking pellet for cichlids?

I wasnt dead set on tankmates so thats fine. I'd put valls in my tank but they grow incredibly fast in my water, I have some in my 20g long that are easily over three feet.

Though I suppose they would appreciate some cover from the valls growing over the top of the tank, I'll throw some in and see how it goes, thanks!

cwmorrow 09-07-2012 02:46 PM

I have three in a ten with chiclid sand substrate. Watching them dig is cool.
Flake and live brine shrimp.
They've not spawned,darn it.
I bought shells online. Try Googling. My bookmarks are at home, I'll post the URL if I remember this evening.

I'm envious!

Wayne

emeraldsky 09-07-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmorrow (Post 1232999)
I have three in a ten with chiclid sand substrate. Watching them dig is cool.
Flake and live brine shrimp.
They've not spawned,darn it.
I bought shells online. Try Googling. My bookmarks are at home, I'll post the URL if I remember this evening.

I'm envious!

Wayne

Thank you!
I actually pulled up some escargot shells that seem to work perfectly, the reviews are all from people who used them for their cichlids.

Thats awesome they eat brine shrimp, i was tempted to buy some since they look so neat but I didnt have a reason to until now XD

cwmorrow 09-07-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 1233089)

Thats awesome they eat brine shrimp, i was tempted to buy some since they look so neat but I didnt have a reason to until now XD

Live brine shrimp hasn't made the little so-and-sos spawn, darn their beady little eyes!

Do they run like hell and duck into their shells when you look into the tank?

Northside Aquatics has a great looking Tanganyika tank with shellies, Julidichromis and I think Altolamprologus calvus.

emeraldsky 09-07-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmorrow (Post 1233192)
Live brine shrimp hasn't made the little so-and-sos spawn, darn their beady little eyes!

Do they run like hell and duck into their shells when you look into the tank?

Northside Aquatics has a great looking Tanganyika tank with shellies, Julidichromis and I think Altolamprologus calvus.

Thats a shame, everywhere I've read seems to say they are easy to spawn. I hope so since Id like them to be more common in my area and I have an awesome LFS Id like to donate any extras too.

They do, I have them on the bottom shelf of a fish tank stand so everytime my cat goes by, they skitter. I think my cats doing it on purpose, the saucy bugger.

I do like Julies but my tank isnt big enough to have them in with the multis D:

dramaqueen 09-07-2012 05:21 PM

I saw something awhile back on Animal Planet about shell dwelling cichlids. It was pretty interesting.

emeraldsky 09-07-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dramaqueen (Post 1233246)
I saw something awhile back on Animal Planet about shell dwelling cichlids. It was pretty interesting.

They are very interesting fish from what I've seen so far, I look forward to seeing how they act when I get them in a bigger tank!