Tropical Fish Keeping banner

New Shell Dwelling Cichlids! (Also some questions)

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rockarolla70 
#1 ·
So last weekend I drove 2 hours to the closest Aquarium Society Meeting and they had an auction for several things and lucky for me, there were 2 bags of Neolamprologus multifasciatus, Shell dwelling cichlids which I have been looking for off and on for several months. The only place I could find them sold them for 12$ a fish, waaaay too pricy for me.

So I won the auction for 10 of them and 20 shells for 18$! :-D

I've fed them some large carnivore pellets that I crushed up but can anyone recommend a good stable flake/pellet food? The carnivore pellets are expensive and messy. The ones I have seem young so something that would help them grow would be appreciated. I'm debating on whether to try live food or not, still a bit squeamish e.e

Also, does anyone know where I can get more shells for pretty cheap?
I have 25 in there now, would definitely like some more.

I have them in a 10 gallon for now, looking for a 15 gallon for sale as which should house them better.
The tank looks pretty barren though so I was also wondering about some possible tankmates?

ALSO PICTURES
Find the fish!
Snail Organism Terrestrial animal Marine biology Grass
Organism Grass Fish Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Aquatic plant Aquarium lighting
Fish Organism Marine biology Flatfish Underwater
Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Aquarium Organism Plant
Fish Organism Fish Marine biology Aquarium

I also needed to share my dog who hilariously went through the garbage.
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

She apparently supports Arbys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hilarious.
:rofl:
The dog, I mean.

Once one of my cats got its head stuck in a Kleenex Box. It wasn't as good, though, because I couldn't see its facial expression. My other cats were impressed, though, as it went blindly thumping down the hall with a box on its head.

Poor Filbert!

The Shell Dwellers are cute as buttons.

They won't eat much, so small (very small) pelleted cichlid food (spectrum) would work as a staple. I know the initial cost of a container of Spectrum is somewhat daunting, but so worth it.

Shell dwellers live in pretty barren area of the lake, hence the need to hole up in shells. I won't recommend tankmates since I have not kept these, but some vallisneria might soften up the look of the tank.

What a great deal! Enjoy these beautiful little fish!

#3 ·
Sounds amusing X3

Thank you, I'll look into spectrum. Do you know if they make a sinking pellet for cichlids?

I wasnt dead set on tankmates so thats fine. I'd put valls in my tank but they grow incredibly fast in my water, I have some in my 20g long that are easily over three feet.

Though I suppose they would appreciate some cover from the valls growing over the top of the tank, I'll throw some in and see how it goes, thanks!

#4 ·
I have three in a ten with chiclid sand substrate. Watching them dig is cool.
Flake and live brine shrimp.
They've not spawned,darn it.
I bought shells online. Try Googling. My bookmarks are at home, I'll post the URL if I remember this evening.

I'm envious!

Wayne

#5 ·
Thank you!
I actually pulled up some escargot shells that seem to work perfectly, the reviews are all from people who used them for their cichlids.

Thats awesome they eat brine shrimp, i was tempted to buy some since they look so neat but I didnt have a reason to until now XD

#9 ·
They are very interesting fish from what I've seen so far, I look forward to seeing how they act when I get them in a bigger tank!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.