Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   really want some advice with my mollies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/really-want-some-advice-my-mollies-113355/)

prodrumernate 09-05-2012 05:07 PM

really want some advice with my mollies

i just bought a 10 gallon tank and 8 black mollies.i sexed them so its 1 female and 7 males.most are her offspring.1 still has the silver spots so i know its young....after doing some research all yesterday..i realized the woman had too many i believe in the 10 gallon..i also read they need a bigger tank.the biggest tank i have is a 20 gallon hex..

i want to get some more color fish to go along with them..and i know i can acclimate them over to full SW fish and thought of doing that someday so i can have a small SW tank.maybe even converting the 10 gallon they came in..

my 20 gallon just got done cycling using seeded material from my other 10 gallon and using my rosy red minnows...

1.i thought about adding the mollies to my 20 gallon with my minnows.by the way the only female molly will be giving birth any day now.

2.giving away most of the males and keeping like 1 with her in the 10 gallon or even 20 gallon with the minnows..

well im actually kinda confused what i want and should do..they have been fine in the 10 gallon at the place i got them from..and i guess u can say i want to have other fish mixed with my mollies to give more color and variety..

but not sure if i should do it in my 10.or use my 20 gallon and add my mollies in with my minnows and use my 2nd 10 gallon for something else..

my first 10 gallon currently occupies 1 female betta,1 oto and 2 mystery snails.

any ideas on whats best for my mollies and rather or not i should give them up for adoption and just keep a male and female as the women originally did..so i can also add some other tankmates to get a variety of fish etc?

i want to get experience and knowledge on fish as much as i can.including saltwater.

i even thought about just turning my 10 into salt water with my mollies and adding like a clown fish and a coral i have here..just to have a beginners SW tank

input plz.my mind doesnt want to think rite now haha.. :)

jaysee 09-05-2012 06:41 PM

Unfortunately mollies are much to big for the 20 hex as well. The best thing to do would be to return them all and start over with more appropriate fish. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

I really can't offer any other help with stock so long as the mollies are still in the mix.

Romad 09-05-2012 07:56 PM

Oh that poor female :( Ratio for livebearers should be about 3 females to 1 male. They're going to chase her to death trying to mate.

I think you got some good advice about returning them or selling them to your local fish store.

prodrumernate 09-05-2012 08:32 PM

i would have to give them away..i bought them off a woman from craigslist..and she has no other tank.she didnt have time to take care of them..the filter and everything was horrible.and no hiding places for them.i threw in some of my live plants using the gravel that was in there to keep the cycle and threw in my blue gravel to make it thicker as well as the decor and fake plants that were in there..i see them chasing the female around a lot.

i know they are too small for that tank.but i think a female and male would be fine in the 20 gallon hex with my 4 minnows.i made a powerhead filter as well as a moving bed filter thats in the tank.so it can handle the bioload.and there is a big spot to hide..

i may just put them in the 20 and give most of the males away,then use my 10 for a divided betta tank since i have 2 male and 2 female,with 2 10 gallon tanks.

or i could divide my other 10 and put 1 of the female bettas on 1 side and the female molly on the other.then the male inside the 20 gallon to keep them separated and if i choose to breed them.and have the room.i can grab my backup long 20 gallon thats actually for reptiles but would be fine for breeding and breed them there.

prodrumernate 09-05-2012 08:34 PM

and thank you both for the advice.its actually kinda what i wanted to hear.though i like seeing all 8 in the 10 gallon.id rather get rid of some and use my 10 for divided betta tank.. ;) and i was confused..yall helped so now i know and have a plan on what to do

jaysee 09-05-2012 08:35 PM

I would not recommend any of those options.

prodrumernate 09-05-2012 08:49 PM

its due to their bioload am i correct..ive read minimum for mollies is 10 and then seen 29..ive seen many videos with a 10 having 1 or 2 mollies in it...but have been reading debates on the 10 and 29 gallon..so im not entirely sure if its due to bioload or both bioload and the size..sorry could u explain more about it?

jaysee 09-05-2012 09:22 PM

IMO bioload is never really a problem, as one can take the necessary steps to take care of it. Size is a problem. They are just too large of a fish for such a small amount of space. No amount of filtration, plants and water changes can make up for a lack of space.

I've seen a lot of fish tank videos... That I would never suggest anyone duplicate.

prodrumernate 09-05-2012 09:35 PM

hmmm...i may try to see if i can take them to a LPS and see if they will either give store credit and if not if they will just take them..

do u know of any pet stores that will do that?

jaysee 09-05-2012 09:40 PM

I know which ones dont - petsmart and petco