Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Cyanobacteria, Brown Algea ??? What can it be? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/cyanobacteria-brown-algea-what-can-113348/)

jdiaz 09-05-2012 04:21 PM

Cyanobacteria, Brown Algea ??? What can it be?

3 Attachment(s)
So if you have read my previous post I said I had to clean my tank every few hours because I was getting a diatom bloom. But it has since cleared but I do have this string algae or cyano that grows all over the tank, espesially on the high flow. It grows on the powerhead and the live rocks corals ect. It is growing alot on my SPS and it seems to be bothered and soo does my GSP that is almost always open is now closed except a few polyps. What can It be ??? I will put pictures for you to see.

Attachment 63930

Attachment 63931

Attachment 63932

Reefing Madness 09-05-2012 07:09 PM

Ya gots Hair Algae and Diatoms going on. Whats your Phosphate readings? How old is the tank?

wake49 09-06-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1230585)
Ya gots Hair Algae and Diatoms going on. Whats your Phosphate readings? How old is the tank?

I feel like the bottom picture shows cyano. I definitely see GHA and diatoms, but I think he has a cyano problem too.

How old is this tank?

Reefing Madness 09-06-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 1231255)
I feel like the bottom picture shows cyano. I definitely see GHA and diatoms, but I think he has a cyano problem too.

How old is this tank?

Yea, prolly right. He's got it all going on in there right now.

jdiaz 09-07-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1230585)

IDK on the phosphates. But I read all the time that it does not matter if the reading is 0 because the cyano eats it faster than what can be shown on the test. I know I have hair algae, not avoidable because I have no access to RO/DI water. Tank is about 10 weeks old. I added a second powerhead and it seems to be growing where the high flow is. Like one power head is pointed at the back wall and it is growing like crazy there and one is pointed to a sidewall and it grows crazy there too.

Sooo since I added the second powerhead it got worse.

wake49 09-07-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 1233209)
IDK on the phosphates. But I read all the time that it does not matter if the reading is 0 because the cyano eats it faster than what can be shown on the test. I know I have hair algae, not avoidable because I have no access to RO/DI water. Tank is about 10 weeks old. I added a second powerhead and it seems to be growing where the high flow is. Like one power head is pointed at the back wall and it is growing like crazy there and one is pointed to a sidewall and it grows crazy there too.

Sooo since I added the second powerhead it got worse.

Do you have a Wal-Mart near you? They have stores with a RO/Di
Unit in the store, and if not, sell RO water I'm the jugs as "drinking water". They also have steamed distilled in the jug as "distilled water". With both of these you will probably need to run a phosphate sponge, but at least you can use more pure water.

jdiaz 09-07-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake49 (Post 1233791)
Do you have a Wal-Mart near you? They have stores with a RO/Di
Unit in the store, and if not, sell RO water I'm the jugs as "drinking water". They also have steamed distilled in the jug as "distilled water". With both of these you will probably need to run a phosphate sponge, but at least you can use more pure water.

I do, but I am alrady using gallon jugs of water that I buy from a local grocery store as drinking water. I also noticed that I saw some or better said A LOT of red bugs on my glass where the algae is growing and some white ones. They are supper tiny. I stoped my flow and all of the algae kinda got off the glass and have some free floating at the top from no flow. I am going to remove this algae thing.

wake49 09-08-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdiaz (Post 1233942)
I do, but I am alrady using gallon jugs of water that I buy from a local grocery store as drinking water. I also noticed that I saw some or better said A LOT of red bugs on my glass where the algae is growing and some white ones. They are supper tiny. I stoped my flow and all of the algae kinda got off the glass and have some free floating at the top from no flow. I am going to remove this algae thing.

The bugs are good. Are you running a phosphate sponge?

onefish2fish 09-08-2012 08:50 AM

did you say red bugs? these may NOT be good and are an invasive type of flatworm.

i hope we are talking amphipods and copepods and anything else.

im curious to what your "pure waters" TDS is, just because its labeled "pure" doesnt mean they have changed their filters in a few years.

what and how often are you feeding? how is the flow in the tank? sump/skimmer/carbon/phosban?

wake49 09-08-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 1234222)
did you say red bugs? these may NOT be good and are an invasive type of flatworm.

i hope we are talking amphipods and copepods and anything else.

im curious to what your "pure waters" TDS is, just because its labeled "pure" doesnt mean they have changed their filters in a few years.

what and how often are you feeding? how is the flow in the tank? sump/skimmer/carbon/phosban?

I know that "Tigger pods" are usually a brownish red color when I used to buy the bottle of them. I know they are colder water pods, but I figured that some could survive in a tank and be transferred in Live Rock... Maybe a pic would help?