Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Bleach soltuon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bleach-soltuon-113230/)

allaboutfish 09-04-2012 09:57 PM

Bleach soltuon

How much bleach should I put in 3 gallons to clean out a tank and some filter media and stuff? Also how do I clean the tanks and how do I clean the filter and the media?

bdgiese90 09-04-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutfish (Post 1229356)
How much bleach should I put in 3 gallons to clean out a tank and some filter media and stuff? Also how do I clean the tanks and how do I clean the filter and the media?

Mix bleach according to instructions on container. Use some kind of dechlorinator to neutralize chlorine from the bleach BEFORE ADDING TO YOUR TANK. Filter media can be rinsed under cool water, but it does get spent after a while. Only recommending 1 rinse per batch of media/cartridge. Still need to replace after a while, say 2 weeks after rinse. At least this is my opinion. Other more experienced keepers might tell you different, which is fine. I am a newbie and I'm not afraid to admit it.

allaboutfish 09-04-2012 10:43 PM

I am doing this for tanks that fish got sick in. And their filters.

bdgiese90 09-04-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutfish (Post 1229430)
I am doing this for tanks that fish got sick in. And their filters.

What kind of sick...? Even then..same instruction applies.

Don't bother bleaching the filter media. Just get new. You can bleach it but it will probably render it useless unless you're just using a foam pad. Don't bleach carbon/zeolyte.

allaboutfish 09-04-2012 11:02 PM

I don't use carbon. Just bio and foam.

Byron 09-05-2012 02:24 PM

I would not use bleach on anything that will absorb liquids, such as filter media, wood, rock, gravel or sand. It is next to impossible to ensure all of the bleach gets rinsed out.

It is OK touse bleach to clean the tank glass, filter itself and filter tubes, but rinse everything very well in plain tap water afterwards and allow to thoroughly dry in air before re-use.

Byron.

bdgiese90 09-05-2012 02:48 PM

Use dechlorinator to be on the safe side after soaking.
Posted via Mobile Device

allaboutfish 09-05-2012 03:56 PM

So how do I make my media safe? I don't have money for new media right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

bdgiese90 09-05-2012 04:03 PM

You could use meds I guess. Just wait til you do have money for media. It doesn't make sense not to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pearl2011 09-05-2012 05:40 PM

Meds doesnt clean it. If the fish were sick and died and the meds didnt work, they wont work now.
Then dont set itup until you have the filter media. I now it seems unfair, but suck it up waiting will pay off.