Cichlid Cafe! A Post For Homemade Food Recipes!
Ok so i thought we should have a post for listing recipes for your fish food if you do make your own and if you dont, maybe you could list some foods that youve had success with.
Cichlid Cafe Rules!
-List the name(s) of the fish your recipes will work with.
-Make sure your recipes are accurate and will not hurt anyones loved fish.
-Be friendly to other people in the cichlid cafe!
One Of My Recipes
Rocky Road Discus Fish Food Recipe
3 pounds beef heart - cleaned & defatted & trimmed
2 pounds raw shrimp - peeled
1 pound white fish
1 pound liver (we use beef) - trimmed & rinsed well and soaked in very hot water 3 minutes
2 pounds frozen plankton - thawed, or 6 ounces freeze dried - well rinsed
2 boxes frozen spinach- steamed lightly
1 box peas- steamed lightly
1 clove garlic(use the outside)
6 egg yolks from a hard boiled egg
30 grams of agar powder
1/4 cup brewers yeast
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon spirulina powder
A bottle of multi vitamins
Blender or food proccessor
Coffee bean grinder
2 Boxes Ziplock Bags
1. Run all ingredients through blender or food processor one at a time for a short time and add to large bowl except agar powder, egg yolks, brewers yeast, wheat germ, spirulina powder, and multivitamins.
2. When everything is processed mix well in large bowl.
3. Then add the following ingredients; egg yolks, brewers yeast, wheat germ(after being finely chopped up into a powder like substance in coffee bean grinder), multivitamins (after being finely chopped up into a powder like substance in a coffee bean grinder, and spirulina powder.
4. Mix all ingredients well in bowl.
5. Then stir in 30 grams of agar powder and preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
6. Line cookie sheets with wax paper and pour food onto cookie sheet then spread it out to about 1/2 inch thick.
7. Then, place the sheet in the oven for 20 minutes.
8. Next cool the pans. Place them in the freezer for about 45 minutes until there are more solid.
9. Take out the pan(s) and cut the mixture into 1 inch by 1 inch blocks.
10. Finally, put the blocks in ziplock bags and freeze.
11. To feed, break off little pieces and feed to your discus(use only about 1/4 of the block for every 5 discus per feeding)
12. The food can be made with dewormer or desired medication if needed.
This is made for discus but maybe can be fed to other carnivorous fish :idea:
Ooohh.....I can eat that.:mrgreen:
That's nice, Taylor. Very handy.:thumbsup:
Anyone got any more recipes out there?
Anything for CA cichlids?
Bump for more recipes in general... Anyone?
Right okay, Beefheart and the subsequent things I'am about to use in this post are not always recommended by every enthusiast, But its always worked for my Central & South American Cics, amongst other things I have had in my tanks over the years. The mixture should not be fed on a daily basis, but as a subsitute maybe 2-3 times weekly. The ingredients will make up about 4 months worth and cost about Â£4.
Step 1. The Ingredients and tools required
100g Market prawn or the like.
2 x Brocolli stems.
1 x Gelatine powder.
1 Tub of Cichlid flake.
Half a pint of water.
1 x Mincer.
1 x Pan.
1 x Scissors.
1 x Chopping board.
1 x Mixing bowl.
1 x Rolling pin.
Some plastic bags with zip fasteners.
Oh and a freezer
Chop the stems of the brocolli and boil for 10 mins. DO NOT DISCARD THE WATER.
Shell the prawn and trim all the fat and remove the veins of the beefheart.
Finely grind the beefheart and prawn.
Strain the brocolli and mince adding enough flake to absorb the moisture. BUT DO NOT DISCARD THE WATER.
You now have a nice mush, don't be tempted to eat it. :? Take the water from which the brocolli was boiled in and make up the gelatine and slowly add to the mixture.
Get the plastic bags zip ones are useful at this point. Load them up and roll them out.
Put it in the freezer to set and break of as required.
Good for large cichlids, large characins, and fish fry.
-50 Hikari cichlid red pellets
- 10 Tetra Jumbo Cichlid Sticks
- 3 Algae Wafers *any brand*
1. Put all ingredients into a ziplock bag and crush with a hammer or mochi pestel.
2. Add enough water to make the mixture pasty, but not watery.
3. Pour the mixture onto a plate and spread it out evenly.
4. Cook in an oven or microwave (360 in oven, 3 minutes in the microwave).
5. Crack off bits to feed to hungry big fishies, or let dissolve in water for fry!
what is ager powder
and what kind of plankton?
can you help me?
and how much your cichlids flakes weigh
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2