Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 55 Gallon Goldfish Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-55-gallon-goldfish-tank-11319/)

eelz212 01-28-2008 10:43 PM

New 55 Gallon Goldfish Tank

Hey all,

I'm gonna start a little thread here to track the progress of a new tank I've just set up.

Currently I've got two fancy goldfish living in a 10 gallon tank. These guys are growing fast. With the help of bettababy I've wised up and managed to fit a 55 gallon tank in my tiny bedroom. We're gonna be pretty cozy in here!

I've just got the tank running with an AquaClear 110 filter, and I also added the recommended doses of ammonia neutralizer and "stress zyme" bacteria to kick things into gear. Tomorrow I'm going to take the majority of the gravel from the 10gal, stick it in a stocking, and seed the new 55gal gravel.

I want to get these fish in the new tank ASAP. Any tips on how I can speed up the process?

This tank's gonna be a beauty, I'll get the camera out tomorrow and post some pics of what's going on.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Take care,

Eli

bettababy 01-30-2008 08:59 PM

Eli,
The seeding of gravel will help a lot, also using the water from the 10 gallon. If you take 1/2 of the water out of the 10 gallon and add it to the 55, leaving the fish in the 10 gallon, then go ahead and fill the 55 the rest of the way and use a dechlorinator. Once the 55 is full, take 1 cup at a time, and about every 5 minutes, put a cupful of water from the 55 into the 10 with the fish. When the 10 gallon is again full, put the fish into the 55, along with all of the water now in the 10 gallon. This will help them to adjust to the new conditions the easiest. Watch ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in the new tank over the first 3 - 6 wks. 5 - 10 gallon water changes every other day will help to keep the water conditions good enough for the fish to survive cycling, just be sure not to touch the gravel or filter media during this time.
One last tip: take the filter media from the 10 gallon filter and set it into the new filter for a few wks. This will also help to seed your bacteria culture and will help cycle the tank much quicker.
So great to hear they're in a larger tank... am wondering, have you given thought about where to go with it for the next upgrade? If the 55 barely fits, the next size up could be a real challenge, and will only be about 1 - 2 yrs away. Now is always a good time to start planning, so you don't run into this problem again later.

eelz212 01-30-2008 09:19 PM

hey dawn-

i'll have my own place by then (i'm still living at home- i'm a young dude), and rather than being cramped in my room these guys will live in a 120gal in my living room, front and center.

i have a few stockings full of the old gravel in the new tank. i moved the fish in last night, after only 36hrs of the new tank running. after running some tests, while the new tank had a little more ammonia than i'd like, the old one was a veritable cesspool (i.e., the new tank was at about .05ppm, the old one was .35. probably more). and that was after tons and tons of water changes. so, if you've got some goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and you think they can handle it, you're wrong my friend.

before i put the fish in i added about 5 gallons of the new water into their old tank (over the course of 3 hours).

should i add the rest of the old water? would it not be dangerous due to those high ammonia levels?

i'm gonna try and take some pictures right now. the fish are still very frisky and hungry, probably cause i'm going very easy on the food. they're having fun but definitely a little overwhelmed by their giant new home. i can't wait to see them grow!

okiemavis 01-30-2008 09:20 PM

Wow, it's really awesome that you're taking such good care of your fish, I know what a commitment a 55G is, when you thought they'd be fine in a 10G. A lot of people would find out that their fish weren't alright in such a small tank and not bother to do anything, or only upgrade to a 20 or 30G. Kudos for being an awesome, responsible fish owner! Plus, how amazing will it be to see two, 12 inch, 10 year old goldfish swimming majestically in their tank! It will be good for people who come through your home to see how old, and large goldfish can get, and what a properly cared for goldfish looks like. Okay, so happy for you! :D

bettababy 01-30-2008 10:11 PM

Considering the fish have been in the tank for more than 24 hrs now, there is no need to add the water from the 10 gallon if the ammonia is that high. The idea when transferring them is to help them acclimate their conditions so the change isn't quite as drastic, while also bring a small amount of waste to get that bacteria fed asap. With .35 ammonia in the water, throw it out, for sure!
I'm glad you posted those water params, I'd have been curious to also know what the nitrite and nitrate readings were in the 10 gallon. If you can test it before you dump it, its a good example of what is happening in a small tank that we people can't see with the naked eye. A great lesson for everyone when stocking any size tank!

eelz212 01-30-2008 10:19 PM

thank you so much. some of you on this site have been so kind and helpful (dawn especially). such lovely people.

i never thought of it in the way okie, but these fish can be activists for goldfish equality and prosperity. it really is a shame that probably like 1% of goldfish are properly cared for- because of this general concensus that they can happily live in bowls, and because many people who work at LFSs just don't know what the hell they're talking about.

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/434...anksdawn_1.jpg

bettababy 01-31-2008 02:33 AM

That picture is all the thanks I needed! Very cute... and very much appreciated. I never mind helping, but I don't always get to tell people what they want to hear, and some get upset and forget that I am only being honest and trying to help.
I do this for free, devote about 4 - 6 hrs of each day to helping people with their fish, and I do it because all I want is to make a difference... save lives.. and educate as many people as I can as quickly as I can.
The way I see it, there could be an end to all of the abuse and neglect caused by lack of information and education. If I can teach one person here, that one person can teach someone else. When that someone else happens to be a staff member at a LFS, then that person teaches it to how many? I have a friend here in Wisconsin, we worked together at the store. She goes from LFS to LFS for jobs, and teaches while she's at each one. She butts heads with management about doing the right thing by the animals, and shows them how to make better profit by keeping healthy fish they can truly help people with. She calls whenever she runs into mass health issues with her new shipments, and is teaching people how to help save their profit, and lives at the same time. We're something of a team with her being my best friend, and saving the animals others forget seems to be our destiny. We share the same formal training, though mine a bit more extensive than hers, and then I have gone outside of that with independent study and research, and I will probably die some day while looking through a microscope or writing a research article.
So if you really want to thank me, just take great care of those fish and share what you've learned with others... help me put an end to all of the cruelty going on that people don't even seem to realize. Everytime I am able to help save a life here, I am then able to save lives elsewhere as an end result. That's the best feeling in the whole world, and once you do it... once you teach someone, you'll feel it too.
Keep up the good work and thank you for setting such a perfect example for all others to follow.

eelz212 01-31-2008 03:32 PM

Hey guys,

So the tank is in its third or maybe fourth day. I woke up to find the water is incredibly cloudy- i'm figuring this is part of the cycling process?

What should i do? my fish are in there so i hope it's not dangerous.

I'm about to go ahead and do a 25% water swap.

let me know if you have any tips/ideas

eelz212 01-31-2008 05:36 PM

wow i tested for ammonia and it's ridiculously high right now. somehting like 4.0 or 5.0ppm. i'm nearly done done removing about 13 gallons of water and i'm about to replace it with fresh tap.

is there anything else i can do???

bettababy 01-31-2008 05:38 PM

Small water changes as frequently as possible to help the fish, but keep them very small, and very frequent. 10% twice/day is better than 25% once/day.
If you test your water right now you will probably see a spike in nitrite levels. This is common, and it will clear as the tank cycles. Keep feedings small and to a minimum, and keep the temp cool, and they should be ok.
The cloudy is called a bacterial bloom. The tank looks like someone dropped a white cloud into the water. They come on fast, and they leave just as fast. The more water you change at a time will only make it worse, so again, keep it small. If you can add an air stone, this will help a lot. Increasing the oxygen content in the water seems to help the bacterial blooms ease up much quicker, and its good for the goldfish.
Hang in there, this should clear up within a few days at most.