Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   Aquarium stand (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/aquarium-stand-113178/)

shireelf 09-04-2012 02:18 PM

Aquarium stand
 
1 Attachment(s)
So I am almost done with my aquarium stand that I am building for my 55 gallon tank, all I have left is to put the paneling on and stain it.

bdgiese90 09-04-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shireelf (Post 1228510)
So I am almost done with my aquarium stand that I am building for my 55 gallon tank, all I have left is to put the paneling on and stain it.

Please tell me you are going to seal it.

shireelf 09-05-2012 11:00 PM

Oh that's a great idea!!!! Thank you!

bdgiese90 09-06-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shireelf (Post 1230980)
Oh that's a great idea!!!! Thank you!

It's more of a requirement than an idea. From the look of it, you built the stand out of pine. If that stand gets wet its going to warp. The severity will depend on how wet it gets, but I would never take the chance of my stand collapsing or tipping.

cwmorrow 09-06-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdgiese90 (Post 1231111)
It's more of a requirement than an idea. From the look of it, you built the stand out of pine. If that stand gets wet its going to warp. The severity will depend on how wet it gets, but I would never take the chance of my stand collapsing or tipping.

2"x4" and 2"x6" and very well braced. I'd say with paneling to cross brace it and sealed it would last forever.
Much better than my effort.

shireelf 09-06-2012 05:59 PM

It is made with all 2x6, this thing is heavy. You can't see under the top but it is braced just like the bottom. I went to Lowes today and found a wonderful mahogany stain. I plan to use a glossy sealer on it, my husband said that I can put several coats of the sealer on it to insure that it will be water proof. I'll post pictures of it when its all done.

bdgiese90 09-06-2012 06:02 PM

You might actually be better off to use wood oil instead of sealing it. It will allow the wood to breathe rather than crack when it can't. Oil will repel water as long as you oil it deep and throw a coat on every few years
Posted via Mobile Device

cwmorrow 09-06-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shireelf (Post 1231870)
It is made with all 2x6, this thing is heavy.

My apologies. The perspective made me think the bottom rail was 2"x4".

shireelf 09-06-2012 06:27 PM

I can see that. :-D When I took the picture I had the camera at a weird angle because I was trying to keep the two bags of trash in the background out of the picture.


Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmorrow (Post 1231914)
My apologies. The perspective made me think the bottom rail was 2"x4".


cwmorrow 09-06-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shireelf (Post 1231924)
I can see that. :-D When I took the picture I had the camera at a weird angle because I was trying to keep the two bags of trash in the background out of the picture.

But you got the LOTR poster!

:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2