Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Angelfish and gourami and pleco! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/angelfish-gourami-pleco-113175/)

otter 09-04-2012 12:44 PM

Angelfish and gourami and pleco!

Hello there :) I currently have a 55 gallon "planted" tank (the plants are dying)
That has a 70 gallon fluval filter.

At the moment, I have 4 dwarf gourami, 3 serpae tetra, 5 xray tetra, 1 female betta, 2 peppered cories, one mystery loach (its brown and really small and looks like an eel, not aggressive and nocturnal) and one pleco ( I need help with him look further down)

I am moving the female betta out once my 26 gallon is cycled!

I am also giving away my serpae tetra

I am getting 3 more peppered cories

My pleco is... A different kind I'm not sure what, but he looks like a common pleco, but only grows 2-3 inches! Does anyone know what kind he is?

Ok What I am wanting to do is get 3-4 angelfish
Will they get along with the dwarf gourami?
Im a bit worried since the gourami are a bit nippy!

I think they're that way because the female betta pisses them off, but Is that an ok set up?

3 angelfish
4 dwarf gourami
5 cories
5 xray tetra
1 mini pleco
1 worm loach fish thing

:roll:

I really like tanks that have not too many fish, I could give away my xray tetra as well, but theyre cute

Byron 09-04-2012 01:01 PM

I would not add angelfish unless the gourami are removed. Both species are territorial.

The Pristella Tetra might be an issue too, in such a small group; increasing them to 7 or more would be best both for them and the other fish. In smaller groups like 2, 3 or 4 all characins can get nippy when faced with temptations like slow sedate fish. Five is not bad, but more is always better.:-)

If you do decide on angelfish, a larger group is advisable. Angels are shoaling fish, living in groups, and within the group they will establish an heirarchy, with a dominant male. When there are only 3 or even 4 fish, one of the subordinate fish may be picked on relentlessly, and the stress will lead to poor health and usually death. A group of 5 or 6 in a 55g is fine (without the gourami;-)).

You can read more in our profiles of these species.

As for the pleco, there are hundreds of species; a photo of yours might help one of us pin it down.

Byron.

thekoimaiden 09-04-2012 02:03 PM

I agree with Byron. No gourami and angelfish together. Just too many chances for aggression. The female betta isn't making the dwarf gourami nippy, they are one of the more aggressive smaller gourami. It's just their nature.

The "mystery loach" you describe is one of the Pangio genus. I'm guessing it's Pangio oblonga. Care for them is like any other Pangio loach. They need groups of at least 6 to feel comfortable. Sand is best as a substrate because they enjoy rummaging in it for food. Hiding spaces are also a must as these little guys are shy and nocturnal. If you don't want to get any more I suggest you rehome this single loach as they often crawl under decor and die when they are stressed.

otter 09-05-2012 01:14 PM

thank you!
So I have another idea.
Do opaline or blue gourami get along with dwarf gourami?

Byron 09-05-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otter (Post 1230064)
thank you!
So I have another idea.
Do opaline or blue gourami get along with dwarf gourami?

Only in very large tanks. Male gourami of any species are teritorial, much the same as cichlids in reality. So sufficient space is needed tomaintain more than one species, at least with the medium-sized more common species. Check the info in our profiles.

sidluckman 09-05-2012 02:18 PM

Otter: as I recall from another thead your water's pH is very high. Am I correct? I would concentrate on fish that can tolerate high pH, but unfortunately, gouramis, angels and tetras are not among them. . .

otter 09-05-2012 03:11 PM

yes, I am actually using oak leaves to lower it!

sidluckman 09-05-2012 03:38 PM

any luck?

otter 09-05-2012 06:11 PM

yes! I have to figure out a way to get them into my fluval filter, but it is in my betta tank and working!
oh and sidluckman I noticed your quote!
My names auden as well

I was thinking of having a gourami tank with cories and a school of xray tetra, but I can't decide now

Thanks for telling me about the angels, maybe I will get those instead of gourami

sidluckman 09-05-2012 10:47 PM

The leaves can be simply boiled very briefly, then placed in the tank itself. Leaf litter is commonplace in many tropical fish biotopes, especially in the Amazon where the river often floods the forest floor. The leaf surfaces permit growth of a rich layer of infusoria on which smaller fish might graze.