Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   is this a good deal on a 20G? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/good-deal-20g-11313/)

sakemomo 01-28-2008 07:35 PM

is this a good deal on a 20G?

"This is a 20 gallon aquarium with lighted lid, pump, filter, heater, and other accessories. It hasn't been used for a few years, but everything seems to check out"--for $100 obo. he says he wants to get close. what would be a good offer? there's probably questions i should ask on the details of the equipment. do i just ask for the model of the items?

i'm not sure the parameters for pictures so here is a link to it instead
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLar...f0/2d39_18.JPG

It'sJames 01-28-2008 08:24 PM

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much, but that's just me. Do you know what kind of filter that is?

Have you checked Craigslist? Yesterday i saw a new 20 gallon with filter/heater/pump/nice stand/gravel/ect for $40. It all was in great condition. You can get some pretty good deals on there, depending on your location.

Holly 01-28-2008 08:27 PM

Find out what type of pump/filter it is. Otherwise it looks like a good deal. It may sound funny but make sure you ask if if has any leaks. You can get a stand if you don't have something you can use for fairly cheap. I had my 20 gallon ontop of my dresser for a long time. I would just check on the filter and let us know, it might be something someone has experience with and they can tell you if you should get a better filter or not. It doesn't look bad at all. Just make sure you clean it really well before you try to cycle it!!

sakemomo 01-28-2008 09:18 PM

i'm not too concerned about the filter as i already have an aquaclear 30 but i did message to see what it was exactly. where he said he wanted to be close, its probably unlikely he'd take $50 isn't it?

as for craiglist, i'm in new brunswick, i tried the site but it doesn't seem to get much use. it seems as though kijiji is more popular. its where i got the 10G i have now for $20, though i'm wondering now if that was a good deal or not. i got a filter and pump with it but there was no canopy and i had to take goldfish that i don't want (hence them going to my mothers). i might just chalk it up to impatience...

Holly 01-28-2008 09:58 PM

It can't hurt to put the offer of $50 out there. Depends on how bad he wants to get rid of it. If he says no, then offer $75...it's close to $100. I'd go for it! I think Craigs List is more popular in the US than anywhere else. I got my 55g on there complete for $100 but like I said, he was a military guy who was moving the next day and didn't want to carry the tank. Good luck!

sakemomo 01-29-2008 05:55 AM

ok, the filter is a dynaflow 3 and the heater is a hagen 100 watt, is that good stuff? i'm going to offer $50 and see what happens. thanks everyone for your help.

athlete3344 01-29-2008 07:42 AM

I got my 55g with filter(350gph), stand and light for 50$. I would say keep looking around. You can go to pet stores and find 75g tanks for like 20$ more then what he/she is asking for everything.

Holly 01-29-2008 11:24 AM

Keep in mind that we're all from differant places in the world. Where are you at athlete3344? That's a really good deal btw!

sakemomo 01-29-2008 12:58 PM

wow, i wish it was like that here. the stores with the best deals on what you get for buck, its still over $200 for a basic 25 gal setup. even the 10-12 gal is close to $100 before you add taxes.

fish_4_all 01-29-2008 02:18 PM

Interesting thread.

I can get a brand new 20 gallon, brand new AC30 filter, heater and hood for about $100 here. And that is expensive, paying $40 for the filter and another $40 for the tank. Online I can get the same filter for $22 with shipping.

Is up to you. The filter is an OK one. It might be worth it, just do some price checking on your area to see if it comes close. I would however think that $75 is a more than generous offer regardless for used equipment. I hope you get it for $50.