Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   My Aquarium nitrites and Ammonia spiked???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/my-aquarium-nitrites-ammonia-spiked-112986/)

Hadstuff 09-03-2012 03:32 AM

My Aquarium nitrites and Ammonia spiked????

Ok. so i added a diamond Goby to my already cycled 10gallon nano tank and unfortunatley i had to go out of town for a couple days, and didnt have time to do a waterchange until i came back. now that ive come back, ive noticed my clownfish have started floating sideways kind of, but are still swimming actively. my current livestock is/was

2 ocellarus clownfish
1 fire shrimp
2 feather dusters
1 peppermintshrimp
1 red legged crab
1 nassarius snail
1 Diamond goby

did i over stock my tank? or did the waterchange just completely throw off everything.

Reefing Madness 09-03-2012 11:26 AM

Doesn't look to bad. What are you parameter readings? That will tell you whats going on. Might not even have been the WC thats the problem.

Hadstuff 09-03-2012 04:57 PM

my nitrites and Ammonia spiked for some reason. they were ate .25ppm both of em, and now the goby died, and one of my clowns died. ive been doing waterchanges, and adding prime chlorine remover

Reefing Madness 09-03-2012 06:18 PM

If you went out of town, was there someone else feeding th fish for you? Possibly over feed them? How old is the tank? How are you doing your water changes? Using RO/DI?

Hadstuff 09-03-2012 06:26 PM

no, it was only for 2 days, so i figured the fish would be fine.... and i use R/o DI and i buy store water.

also, my other clownfish is swimming upside down -.- so i took him out of there, put him in a bucket, and put him in the water i bought from the store, but i doubt hes gonna make it.

Reefing Madness 09-03-2012 06:55 PM

But if your doing water changes, every day, those levels should have come down. How old is the tank? You have a hidden death in the tank? One you are unable to see?

Hadstuff 09-03-2012 06:58 PM

i started the tank in july i believe, so its fairly young, and I honestly dont think so. before this outbreak of who knows what, i had lost a purple chromis, but i pulled it out. but i havent added anything that could have died like that, besides a turbo snail which died on me

Reefing Madness 09-03-2012 07:08 PM

Depending on when in July you started it, sounds as if your tank may have not properly cycled. Did you add all the fish at the same time?

Hadstuff 09-03-2012 07:11 PM

no, i added them slowly, and it was early in july like, july 10th or something. so i think the tank was cycled, cause i had no problems throughout august, and july.

Reefing Madness 09-03-2012 07:36 PM

Have you added any new rock? The water changes should straighten out the parameters though.