Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bristlenose needs Question (or Three) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bristlenose-needs-question-three-112950/)

itsonlybarney 09-02-2012 09:26 PM

Bristlenose needs Question (or Three)

After many weeks I have finally got a fully cycled tank, and have some Tetras running around happily.

Next on my list is a Bristlenose, however I have a few questions.
  1. Substrate type? (I have 2-3mm river gravel, suitable?)
  2. Is DW required?
  3. Special food requirements?

Sanguinefox 09-02-2012 09:53 PM

I don't think they are too picky on substrate but a form of drift wood is a must. They need it to munch on because it helps them with digestion. Bogwood is the often preferred way to go for them.

Like any Pleco remember they need to have a nice bit of wood to hide under so take that into consideration. Without that they tend to become very aggressive. Also things like algae discs, and vegetables are what they tend to need in their diet.

dlambert 09-02-2012 10:01 PM

what sanguine said. additionally might have better luck feeding them after lights out. larger/older ones are not as industrious algae scavengers as the young ones in my experience.. if your tank is fairly new and has little algae growth then even the young ones might have a hard time finding food if you don't add wafers or zucchini. definitely get a piece of wood though.. it doesn't have to be huge, just enough to gnaw on and hide behind. mine also likes cleaning/chilling on the wide blades of grass that are looping around the top of the tank now.

itsonlybarney 09-02-2012 10:18 PM

I was looking at getting them this weekend, just wanted to know what I was up for in terms of buying things this weekend.

I wasn't sure whether the gravel I had was suitable, I did see on another forum they recommend sand.

I'll possibly look at getting some driftwood with a plant on it as I'm looking to build up my variety of plants as well.

djembekah 09-08-2012 04:16 PM

my pleco seems to like the sand, but at the stores they keep them on gravel. they look alright :)

Tankfull Tropicals 09-08-2012 07:41 PM

Hi ya Barney; I breed endangered plecos as well as hundreds of Bristlenose. They are THE perfect fish IMO. You tank is fine and they need nothing extra. If you end up with a pair they will need a cave to spawn in. About 1 1/2" opening and 4-7 in deep. Like the size of an empty toilet paper roll. They are great algae eaters and you may want to supplement their diet with algae tabs. they also will chew on a peanut till it is gone. They also love fresh boiled Spinach or Beet tops. They are very passive and are not shy. full grown is 4" with big bushy faces only on the males. Enjoy. Doug

itsonlybarney 09-08-2012 07:54 PM

I went my my LFS yesterday to get some more plants and fish for my aquarium. Rather than a Bristlenose, I was recommended to get a Golden Sucking Catfish. I went with that instead.

Tankfull Tropicals 09-08-2012 08:11 PM

I am not sure what that would be. common names are so misleading. I may be a Golden Orfe. Not sure if I spelt that right but they get huge too. Could just be the yellow for of Chinese Algae eater.

fryup 09-17-2012 10:50 AM

I breed BN in a tank with medium gravel iv never had drift wood in the tank and my male iv had for 5 years the female for 4 years :):):) they are very interesting fish to keep :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 09-17-2012 11:14 AM

I would return the Chinese algae eater if this is indeed the fish purchased.
Oddly enough,,they aren't from China,are fairly poor algae eater's except when very small, and as they grow larger they become more aggressive to other fishes.
Have seen wound's on other fishes where these fish attach themselves and rasp on slime coating of the victim which in turn,,lead's to stress for the victim along with possible infection's from wound's inflicted.