Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Would like advice on DIY replacement filter cartridge replacement (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/would-like-advice-diy-replacement-filter-112909/)

mxdee 09-02-2012 03:13 PM

Would like advice on DIY replacement filter cartridge replacement

I am in the process of converting my 30 gal. to a Planted tank (with lots of expert advice from everyone on this site). I now would like some input on making my own replacement filters for my Marineland Bio-Wheel 150. I don't need or want the carbon included with the replacement filters, and making my own would save money! So what I have gathered from research, craft batting without chemicals or retardents is perfect? Sewing, rather than gluing, (for obvious reasons)? I can reuse the plastic filter cartridge? How many layers of batting? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks, Denise

madyotto 09-02-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxdee (Post 1224756)
I am in the process of converting my 30 gal. to a Planted tank (with lots of expert advice from everyone on this site). I now would like some input on making my own replacement filters for my Marineland Bio-Wheel 150. I don't need or want the carbon included with the replacement filters, and making my own would save money! So what I have gathered from research, craft batting without chemicals or retardents is perfect? Sewing, rather than gluing, (for obvious reasons)? I can reuse the plastic filter cartridge? How many layers of batting? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks, Denise

main DT - 39 gallon Freshwater fish tank

take a look at my DIY filter and sump

you can go as big and bold as you like

my example is very cost effective

7 canister filter 6OO liters an hour <EBAY>
2 liter plastic bottle
1 empty food tub the with of the bottle or wider
1 bag of carbon V cheap
1 phorax media bag 1O
any old bio sponge between 5 and 1O

no tape glue or anything like that just one very small piece of heat shrink tubing to make the neck of the bottle fit snug on the bottom of my filter and quite small drilled holes all over the food tub

ps. make sure the plastic bottle gets cut wavey when you chop the bottom of to allow the best flow rate

i do not know your filter at all but hoe this helps in some way

Boise1024 09-04-2012 08:04 AM

The Marineland filter is not an easy one to use custom filter in. You will probably need to modify a cartridge to be able to do it. I personnaly would not bother tinkering with it. Aquaclears are much easier to load with custom media. Anyways, if you want to try this, you would need filter floss, wich is a polyester floss made for use in the aquarium. I would buy it at a pet shop, because you would be sure that it is safe in the aquarium. I also heard you could buy it a walmart, just be sure to rinse it very well. Use as much as you can fit in the old cartridge without packing it down too much.

You will need to access this floss regularly because it gunks up quickly. If you sew it close, it will be very hard to get access to it and close it back up afterwards...

jaysee 09-04-2012 08:41 AM

I would just get an big aquaclear sponge and cut it to fit.

AbbeysDad 09-07-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxdee (Post 1224756)

Consider for a moment that you don't really need the carbon AND you can rinse and reuse a filter cartridge until it practically falls apart...which is like 6 months to a year!
That makes the cartridges pretty cost effective and not really worth a DIY alternative solution.