Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Fish flicking but no white spots. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/fish-flicking-but-no-white-spots-112848/)

gwljr1314 09-02-2012 03:12 AM

Fish flicking but no white spots.

Hi, I've been observing my fish a lot lately and noticed a few of them have been flicking on the sand and the rocks. Other than that they have been swimming and eating normally. I haven't seen any white spots on any of my fish. Could it be the start of ich or something else? I don't want to treat for ich until I'm sure that's what it is. My water parameters are as follows.

60g tank doing 30% water changer at least once a week
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate between 20-40ppm (it's hard to tell with the color chart)
PH 7.6
High Range PH about 7.6
Temp is around 80

Are they doing this because the PH is a little low and the Nitrate is a little high? What's the best way to raise the PH? I heard adding aquarium salt may help. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Tazman 09-02-2012 06:37 AM

Specifically what fish do you have?

Keep an eye on them as it could indeed be the start of ich BUT more than likely it is breeding behavior. Males and females will shimmer in front of potential mates to attract their attention.

If they are African Cichlids then I would not go about changing the pH, messing with the water chemsitry, unless it is totally wrong for your fish, can cause more problems. This range is within acceptable limits for Africans.

VickiReneeBear2012 09-02-2012 09:39 AM

I'm having he same problem and have been for the past 3 weeks. No spots, just scratching. And it isnt a mating thing. They have theyre way of mating shimmying but this where they actually scratch and rather badly at times on the gravel

gwljr1314 09-02-2012 02:50 PM

Thank you Tazman. I think you may be right about the breeding behavior. It's my Acei and my Afra doing it. I also noticed one of them gyrating too.

gwljr1314 09-05-2012 09:24 PM

Hello again, I still see my fish flashing a lot but can't see any white spots. I have very poor vision (legally blind) and may not even notice them if they were there. Is it dangerous to treat for ick without a confirmed case of it? Also, what is the best way to treat it? Sorry for all the questions.

Tazman 09-05-2012 10:11 PM

I really would not treat for ich without it being confirmed. Could you have someone else look at the fish.

Ich is characterized by white spots on the fish, something could also be irritating them in the tank? do you have driftwood in there?

I wont go into the treatment for ich as it could cause more problems treating without it being confirmed.

I really do though suspect it is breeding behavior, what size are the fish?

gwljr1314 09-06-2012 03:07 AM

I have a small piece of driftwood in the tank. The ones that are doing it the most now are about 1.5-2 inches. (afra) They're also starting to show their colors. The other ones that were doing it (Acei) have seem to stop doing it. It probably is breeding behavior. I guess I'm just being overly cautious with this being my first time with Cichlids. I'll find someone else to check for white spots. Thank you for all of your help.

gwljr1314 09-07-2012 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had someone check and thankfully there were no white spots on any of them. Just one more question if you don't mine. (Sorry, I know I'm a pain) :-) My yellow lab has had these vertical black lines on it for several weeks now. They're usually a little darker then they are in the picture. This is also one of the ones that were flashing. Are the lines due to stress or could it be a lab mix? Sorry for the bad pic.