Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angels with other fish - need suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angels-other-fish-need-suggestions-11284/)

Cody 01-27-2008 09:45 PM

Angels with other fish - need suggestions

I plan on buying a 30 gallon tall, so I want to add 2 or 4 angels. I would add them very young and at the same time, so they could pair off. I would like to add other fish in the tank; maybe a small shoal of cories and a BN pleco for bottom swimmers, because I take it that Angels will take up the top and middle. I have all the decor picked out for the bottom dwellers, and there will be a lot of hiding spots (a 10" long log, shipwreck, driftwood, plants). Thoughts?

It'sJames 01-27-2008 09:50 PM

I have a single angel with a female betta, a couple platys, ADFs, and several corys. He does great with them all, but I've heard they get pretty aggressive once they start to breed. 30 gallons probably isn't enough for 4 angels and other fish, and it's a stretch for 2 + other fish... but that's only my oppinion.

Cody 01-27-2008 10:41 PM

I think I will add 2 angels with 6 cories, with some shrimp and snails if they live. How does that sound?

Lupin 01-27-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody
I think I will add 2 angels with 6 cories, with some shrimp and snails if they live. How does that sound?

What are the dimensions of the tank? Your angels will eat the shrimps, no doubt. Snails and cories are fine though. If you can look for a bonafide pair of angels, it's not a problem along several thickets of plants for the cories to hide in case they get harassed.

Cody 01-28-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

What are the dimensions of the tank? Your angels will eat the shrimps, no doubt. Snails and cories are fine though. If you can look for a bonafide pair of angels, it's not a problem along several thickets of plants for the cories to hide in case they get harassed.

The tank is aproximatley 24" x 24" x 12".

Ok, so no shrimp. I take it live is better than plastic in this situation? Could I use plastic and live?
I have plenty of hiding spots for the cories if they need it.

Holly 01-28-2008 09:35 PM

Yes, live is almost always better but more work also. You should have no problem using live and fake but be careful of the fake plants since sometimes they look really fake. The silk plants look more realistic and if I was going to mix fake and live I would definitely go with silk. I think 2 angels and 6 cories would be fine.

It'sJames 01-28-2008 09:36 PM

Two angels and 6 cories sounds good.

I like live plants whenever I can, but they've been quite a hassle for me. Fish sometimes act more natural with live plants opposed to plastic.
You could do both... it might look a little weird tho. I'm not sure.

If you have sufficient lighting, a decent substrate, and the possibility of adding CO2, I'd go for live plants. But you could probably get by with a simple flourescent strip light for low light plants, and then you wouldn't have to add CO2, although it's helpful.

Lupin 01-28-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

The tank height is insufficient for angelfish. Cross out the angelfish from your list.

Holly 01-28-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
Quote:

The tank height is insufficient for angelfish. Cross out the angelfish from your list.

Here you go busting everyone's bubble Lup!! :lol: