Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cleaning out quarentine tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cleaning-out-quarentine-tank-112790/)

allaboutfish 09-01-2012 05:56 PM

cleaning out quarentine tank

so i had some julii corys in quarentine and every single one died. im guessing bad stock but i dont know why they died. so i boiled the sponge filter and im letting it completely dry out but i need to drain and clean the tank. my question is can i clean it with vinegar? i dont own bleach and would rather not work with it. if not what else could i clean it with?

Pearl2011 09-01-2012 06:20 PM

Bleach is more effective and you can get it more the dollar store, I just use very little let it sit for about 15 min, wipe in on the sides and rinse, swish more bleach around, then rinse about 10+ times (no sarcasm). Leave it in the sun for a couple days, rinse again for good measure (I just use the hose) and dry it out.
I dont think there is anything else beside vinegar and bleach.

allaboutfish 09-01-2012 06:49 PM

i really want to use it tomorrow though. how can i clean it today to be used tomorrow?

Boredomb 09-01-2012 07:08 PM

if you use vinegar you can use it tomorrow but bleach has more disinfectant capabilities then vinegar does and should probably be used in this case imo.

Pearl2011 09-01-2012 07:08 PM

You can't. You would need something in there to prevent ammonia from rising and the diseases can't be cleaned out by tomorow. You dont have to leave it in the sun, but if you clean it outside you could get some sun on it.

allaboutfish 09-01-2012 07:15 PM

i have a filter i can use on the tank thats already seeded. i just need to clean out the tank. so theres no way i can clean it out and use it tomorrow?

rjordan390 09-01-2012 07:20 PM

Tell us more about your quarantine tank. Have you used copper in it? What did you do with the sponge filter before you added the corys? Were there other fish in quarantine?

I am going to take a guess that your sponge filter was not established long enough in an established tank to acquire an active supply of nitrifying bacteria.
By placing a sponge in a tank without nitrifying bacteria on it places your fish at a huge disavantage; especially 3 fish in a small quarantine tank. It does not take long for ammonia to build up to dangerous levels. Did you test for ammonia or nitrites?
Cleaning your tank may not be the answer. Give us more information and we can better help you.

Boredomb 09-01-2012 07:22 PM

nope not with killing the diease. Bleach is the best way and letting it air dry afterwards for a day is best after using bleach.

allaboutfish 09-01-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjordan390 (Post 1223285)
Tell us more about your quarantine tank. Have you used copper in it? What did you do with the sponge filter before you added the corys? Were there other fish in quarantine?

I am going to take a guess that your sponge filter was not established long enough in an established tank to acquire an active supply of nitrifying bacteria.
By placing a sponge in a tank without nitrifying bacteria on it places your fish at a huge disavantage; especially 3 fish in a small quarantine tank. It does not take long for ammonia to build up to dangerous levels. Did you test for ammonia or nitrites?
Cleaning your tank may not be the answer. Give us more information and we can better help you.

no copper. the sponge filter has been use fore months. ive never had to sterilize it from dieing fish until today so its always been full of bacteria. no other fish. never any ammonia or nitrites and i tested with an api liquid test kit.

Pearl2011 09-01-2012 08:34 PM

Either way, you wont have it ready for tomorrow. What size is the tank?