Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   what's your favorite fish and why??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/whats-your-favorite-fish-why-112784/)

fryup 09-01-2012 04:10 PM

what's your favorite fish and why???

Ok il start, my favorite fish is the Oscar cichlid there stunning to look at as youngsters and a prized possession as an adult there intelligence is amazing just how they know what's goin on around them puzzles me but the thing I love the best is there attitude problem when they don't like where u put there new ornament or plant and how they sulk when there teased with some bloodworm or when they simply don't get there own way :):):) ........ For me the Oscar is just brilliant
Posted via Mobile Device

Pearl2011 09-01-2012 05:10 PM

Bettas! They have a great personality and reconize you. Bubbles was moved to the ten gallon and reconized my mom and the other ignored her then I went up and they swam forward. So sweet :D

thekoimaiden 09-01-2012 08:38 PM

Koi, in case you couldn't guess. :lol: I love how big and beautiful they get. They are so majestic swimming in a huge pond. Ponds are beautiful, but large, colorful koi put the icing on the cake.

fishkid 09-01-2012 09:04 PM

Cardinal tetras. Neon tetras are one of the fish that got me into the hobby in the first place, but then I discovered the more colorful cardinal tetras and I've been hooked since then.

Tazman 09-01-2012 09:18 PM

African Cichlid Peacocks, colors are stunning and you cannot beat an all male 180g tank full of them.

sidluckman 09-02-2012 03:01 AM

All the responses so far have merit. I think the respondents must all be young, however, because, favoring a single species or even a single family of fishes, for me, becomes increasingly difficult with the passage of time.

I have always had an ongoing attraction to Marine Angels and Butterflies. They carry a connotation of exotic places, beautiful reefs, the mystery and secrecy of the details of their natural history and their frequently audacious and extreme beauty. To interact on a Caribbean reef with a French Angel is a magical experience. To observe the extreme delicacy in pattern, anatomy and physiology of the Chaetodon Capistratus is a wonder. These creatures live in such harmony with what surrounds them in their native waters. I am indeed lucky that the ones I own humor me to the point where they agree to leave the Indo Pacific to be contained in a few hundred litres of water in a Midwestern living room.

But I see where the rest of you are coming from, truly I do: I have kept oscars among many other large Cichlids, and they are intelligent, attractive rewarding fish. And I was long obsessed with bettas in the seventies when the "veiltail" was the NKOTB. I am perennially entranced by the serene dignity of koi as they move silently though a garden pool like maiden-princesses enroute to an unseen tea ceremony. And the Aulonacara Jacobfreibergii, in any of its many morphs, with its elegant fins and tail that earned it the name "Malawi Butterfly" is to me, the pinnacle of peacock beauty.

Love whatever you want. Love it well!

fryup 09-02-2012 10:47 AM

amen to that haha I hav never kept marine fish but I know I I was to I wud hav to hav angelfish :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device

sidluckman 09-02-2012 11:01 AM

When you're ready for them, go for it. Need big tanks, frequent maintenance and good food. Most are not difficult but they demand dedication. In a way, oscars are a great "training ground" for marine angels; they demand the same regular upkeep and attention to water parameters and appropriate sized accomodations!

Pearl2011 09-02-2012 11:07 AM

LOL sid, good point about young to the hobby. I've only had bettas, goldfish and 2 guppies I had for 2 days.

I'm getting cardinal tetras, cories and a farlowella so I'll see if I change my mind.

sidluckman 09-02-2012 11:16 AM

OOHHH! Great fish! All of them! Now you will become smitten' with the majesty and mystery of Amazonians, and before long you will have hundreds of gallons of water in your keep, housing everything from Discus to pencil fish.

You will be penniless, but you will be happy!

(I speak from experience.)