Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   29 gallon stocking questions. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/29-gallon-stocking-questions-112772/)

Rdb2013 09-01-2012 03:55 PM

29 gallon stocking questions.

Hello, I'm new to the forums and my girlfriend and I recently started a 29 gallon aquarium. It's been running for about 2 months now. We currently have 11 fish. An angel, albino rainbow shark, a marble loach (angelicus botia), 3 Cory's, an orange/yellow platy(name escapes me), a painted tetra and 3 glowlight tetras(not "glofish"). All the fish are healthy or appear to be and are all very active little creatures, aside from the loach who is 50/50 either running around all over or "digging in" inside a hiding spot. We don't have any live plants. We had live plants but my girlfriend hated the Debri that
Would settle at the bottom. We have sand substrate an aqueon hob filter (200 gph), also a
Water pump to add some current(by this I mean a submersible
Pump attached to the inside of the aquarium.) and plenty of silky synthetic plants and hiding spots along with driftwood. I'm adding another filter today after doing research I'm getting
An aquaclear 30 to run also, the filter I have isn't or atleast doesn't seem to high of quality.
Our nitrite levels have recently been high, around 5ppm, but
I keep doing water
Changes every other day and the fish seem un affected. I think this is
Due to her over feeding, which we discussed and
She understands now haha.

On to my question! We are looking to add a few more fish, but I don't know how many we can add. We realize although the 4 tetras hang out we
Need 2 or 3 more.. Although they are comfortable because they even hang out solo in the tank. But we don't want glowlight or painted.. We want to
Have a different kind of tetra that will also be different but be comfortable with the others. Other than that she wants a ghost shrimp. From
There I don't know if we can have more fish or not.. They don't seem crowded.. There's
Plenty of open space and they all swim freely. A top level fish would be nice since
The tetras are mid to bottom in our tank, and the cories are the
Only ones that swim top level occasionally

GwenInNM 09-01-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdb2013 (Post 1223036)
Hello, I'm new to the forums and my girlfriend and I recently started a 29 gallon aquarium. It's been running for about 2 months now. We currently have 11 fish. An angel, albino rainbow shark, a marble loach (angelicus botia), 3 Cory's, an orange/yellow platy(name escapes me), a painted tetra and 3 glowlight tetras(not "glofish"). All the fish are healthy or appear to be and are all very active little creatures, aside from the loach who is 50/50 either running around all over or "digging in" inside a hiding spot. We don't have any live plants. We had live plants but my girlfriend hated the Debri that
Would settle at the bottom. We have sand substrate an aqueon hob filter (200 gph), also a
Water pump to add some current(by this I mean a submersible
Pump attached to the inside of the aquarium.) and plenty of silky synthetic plants and hiding spots along with driftwood. I'm adding another filter today after doing research I'm getting
An aquaclear 30 to run also, the filter I have isn't or atleast doesn't seem to high of quality.
Our nitrite levels have recently been high, around 5ppm, but
I keep doing water
Changes every other day and the fish seem un affected. I think this is
Due to her over feeding, which we discussed and
She understands now haha.

On to my question! We are looking to add a few more fish, but I don't know how many we can add. We realize although the 4 tetras hang out we
Need 2 or 3 more.. Although they are comfortable because they even hang out solo in the tank. But we don't want glowlight or painted.. We want to
Have a different kind of tetra that will also be different but be comfortable with the others. Other than that she wants a ghost shrimp. From
There I don't know if we can have more fish or not.. They don't seem crowded.. There's
Plenty of open space and they all swim freely. A top level fish would be nice since
The tetras are mid to bottom in our tank, and the cories are the
Only ones that swim top level occasionally

I think you are at your stocking limit. You should re-home your Angelicus Botia and shark, because the loach needs to be with a group of at least 4 and they get too large for your tank. I would say also the shark is not suitable for a 29 gallon. Welcome to the forum! :)

Byron 09-02-2012 05:17 PM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:-D

I'm with Gwen on the fish. This is a mistake many if not all of us make initially, acquiring unsuitable fish for this or that reason, so don't feel bad. If you can re-home some of them, it will help, if a much larger tank is not in the foreseeable future. Until the specific issues are resolved, adding more fish, especially any different species (since several that are now in the tank do need more in the group) will only make matters worse. All may seem to be peaceful now, but these issues do cause stress and this is the sole cause of health problems and disease. Plus, fish behaviours will change due to the stress, and trouble is not far down the road.

We have profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page, and you will find info on numbers, minimum tank sizes, and other issues for each species. And we are here to answer any questions.

I wouldnot be in a hurry to get another filter, the one you have should be adequate for the task. The fish species is the issue. Except for the nitrite...are you sure you meant nitrite and not nitrate? Nitrite at 5ppm would mean dead fish, nothing can live with this high a nitrite. If it is nitrate, then 5ppm is fine.

Byron.

Rdb2013 09-02-2012 08:37 PM

It is indeed nitrite. I've been doing 1 possibly 2 changes a day to keep it down. I believe we added to many fish too soon and started a sort of mini cycle over. All our fish look healthy and active it's odd because I've had an aquariu years ago before I k ew of the cycle and I notices how horrible my fish looked and acted. We have not added fish. I read more on the botia and shark. I didn't realize the botia needed a group my lfs didn't mention that. He adds a different attitude to the tank, darting all around and digging everywhere and fighting the current. But I am looking to re home him and I may try to o ahead and start to cycle a larger tank so I can keep the rainbow shark. Or start a 20 gallon and move the tetras. To allow more room before moving on to a 55. I purchased a fluval c3 filter, and love it. Added some sea chem bio media to it and I can tell its worlds above the aqueon I have. I appreciate the replies! The shark and botia loach were kind of a "oh loo at that!" buy and I hate to have any fish unhappy so we will take action for them.

I appreciate the responses! But I am doing 1-2 changes daily of 15-25%. I know this is stressful but I feel it's less stressful than high high nitrite levels. Thanks a lot guys and gals!
Posted via Mobile Device

GwenInNM 09-03-2012 09:17 AM

Good for you, you're doing what is best for the fish! Best of luck with the nitrites. What a drag, but it sounds like a mini-cycle, like you said. If you use Prime as a water conditioner, it also will detoxify the nitrite, making it harmless for I believe 48 hours. Byron will know for sure on that one :)

Gwen

Byron 09-03-2012 10:53 AM

Yes, thank you for being responsible. The actions of the loach are due to severe stress; I have a group of five Botia kubotai in my 90g. Now let's get the nitrite resolved.

I am still skeptical of such high numbers. Which test kit? And daily changes of 50% of the tank using a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite, such as Prime or Ultimate, is very advisable until nitrite is zero. Live plants would help. And obviusly removing any of the fish as soon as possible.

Have you tested the tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? This is always worth doing, as any of these may be present and that is worth knowing.

Rdb2013 09-03-2012 01:42 PM

API master test kit. I did another water
Change this morning and tested previous /
Post. It was in between 3.0 ad 5.0 post water change
Is was still over 1 but under 3. I tested the water from
The tap, and it was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite 0 nitrate? I also do use prime as my conditioner. I add stress zyme once a week also. My ammonia is 0 in the tank and
Nitrate is 10ppm or less.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 09-03-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdb2013 (Post 1226608)
API master test kit. I did another water
Change this morning and tested previous /
Post. It was in between 3.0 ad 5.0 post water change
Is was still over 1 but under 3. I tested the water from
The tap, and it was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite 0 nitrate? I also do use prime as my conditioner. I add stress zyme once a week also. My ammonia is 0 in the tank and
Nitrate is 10ppm or less.
Posted via Mobile Device

Prime detoxifies nitrite and will be effective for 36 hours. A test will still read nitrite, even though Prime binds it somehow.