Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Need more advice to create Planted Tank! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/need-more-advice-create-planted-tank-112766/)

mxdee 09-01-2012 02:13 PM

Need more advice to create Planted Tank!

First, I'd like to say "Thank You" to all the knowledgeable Aquarist for your valuable help! The more I utilize this site, the more grateful I am to have connected with it! My last post was, Re: RO Water too Pure? I got a lot of great advice, and read a great 4 part Byron wrote, "Basic Approach to Natural Planted Aquariums".
Since I am working back asswards on creating a more natural environment for my fish
, I am still not certain if I am on the right path. My existing 30 gallon,w/ pure RO water, Bio Wheel and Carbon filter, regular LGF gravel, Reg. florescent bulb, Air stone, handful of live plants mixed with artificial, and stocked with soft water fish...with the Angelfish and Gouramis being my primary concern, here's my plan...
1) Use Seachem Equlibrium & Florish Comp. per Byron recommendation and monitor the GH.
2) Add more live plants specific for soft water and remove airstone.
3) Continue using Bio Wheel but not the carbon filters.
4) Add 1 full spectrum light and 1 cool blue.
Will this work? My ultimate goal is to acquire a 100gal. and do it the right way! But for now I want to salvage this tank, make it a healthy environment for my fish.

Denise

Byron 09-01-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxdee (Post 1222999)
First, I'd like to say "Thank You" to all the knowledgeable Aquarist for your valuable help! The more I utilize this site, the more grateful I am to have connected with it! My last post was, Re: RO Water too Pure? I got a lot of great advice, and read a great 4 part Byron wrote, "Basic Approach to Natural Planted Aquariums".
Since I am working back asswards on creating a more natural environment for my fish, I am still not certain if I am on the right path. My existing 30 gallon,w/ pure RO water, Bio Wheel and Carbon filter, regular LGF gravel, Reg. florescent bulb, Air stone, handful of live plants mixed with artificial, and stocked with soft water fish...with the Angelfish and Gouramis being my primary concern, here's my plan...
1) Use Seachem Equlibrium & Florish Comp. per Byron recommendation and monitor the GH.
2) Add more live plants specific for soft water and remove airstone.
3) Continue using Bio Wheel but not the carbon filters.
4) Add 1 full spectrum light and 1 cool blue.
Will this work? My ultimate goal is to acquire a 100gal. and do it the right way! But for now I want to salvage this tank, make it a healthy environment for my fish.

Denise

For the 30g, I agree to remove the carbon and airstone. Get some more plants, check our plant profiles, any suitable for low to moderate light will work. As for the light, assuming you have a single tube fixture now, replace the existing tube with a "daylight" 6500K tube. You may find these at hardware-type stores, made by GE, Phillips, Sylvania. Just get the one that is the same length as the tube you now have, and make sure it has a rating of 6500K (Kelvin). If this isn't doable, the Life-Glo or the ZooMed Ultra Sun or the Coraqlife 50/50 are good fish store tubes though more expensive. I personally would not buy a new dual-tube fixture for a 30g tank; the planned 100g will be time for that.

Byron.