Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Fire Eel Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/fire-eel-question-112748/)

SirCastic 09-01-2012 12:18 PM

Fire Eel Question

ok som i'm upgrading to a 90 gallon tank (from a 55) and i want to get some kind of eel like fish. I talked to a person at my LFS and they said it might work, but to be honest it didn't sound like he knew what he was talking about. i was wondering if i can put him in my tank, i currently have

5 danios
6 mollies
1 crayfish
1 lyretail swordtail
5 tiger barbs
1 red tailed shark
3 ghost shrimp
1 red thai crab
3 platies

Can i put the eel in? will he kill any of my fish? i know it's going to be a heavily caned and heavily planted tank. Will it work? or should i just add more communities?

Olympia 09-01-2012 12:26 PM

Hi there SirCastic,
Sadly I think any sort of eel is a bad idea for this tank, the smaller fish will become snacks as the eel grows.
If you like the look of eels, I'd look into some loaches for the tank, like kuhli loaches. (The red tailed shark might be aggressive towards these small loaches, but I am not sure, maybe someone else will know).

Instead of adding new fish, I would add some more to the groups you have now. 2 more danios, 4 more tiger barbs would be nice. A few more swordtails for your lone one (swordtails and platies will cross with each other, so watch for that). After you bump up the groups, you still have some room for new fish.

Red Thai crab- This little guy needs land access. He is also a brackish water animal (meaning halfway between fresh and salt water). He will not live very long in fresh water (maybe a few months at most, as opposed to a few years). You might want to think of setting him up his own separate tank and getting him a few more of his own kind.
The more common name for him is red clawed crab, if you want to do some more research on him. These animals are commonly sold as freshwater for fish tanks, they really have their own needs and have no place in a freshwater aquarium. :-)

SirCastic 09-01-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1222847)
Hi there SirCastic,
Sadly I think any sort of eel is a bad idea for this tank, the smaller fish will become snacks as the eel grows.
If you like the look of eels, I'd look into some loaches for the tank, like kuhli loaches. (The red tailed shark might be aggressive towards these small loaches, but I am not sure, maybe someone else will know).

Instead of adding new fish, I would add some more to the groups you have now. 2 more danios, 4 more tiger barbs would be nice. A few more swordtails for your lone one (swordtails and platies will cross with each other, so watch for that). After you bump up the groups, you still have some room for new fish.

Red Thai crab- This little guy needs land access. He is also a brackish water animal (meaning halfway between fresh and salt water). He will not live very long in fresh water (maybe a few months at most, as opposed to a few years). You might want to think of setting him up his own separate tank and getting him a few more of his own kind.
The more common name for him is red clawed crab, if you want to do some more research on him. These animals are commonly sold as freshwater for fish tanks, they really have their own needs and have no place in a freshwater aquarium. :-)

Could i add some corydoras to the mix? like 6 or 7 panda cories?

Olympia 09-01-2012 01:54 PM

Panda Corydoras (click the highlighted name to go to their profile) should be fine. However cories do need a sand substrate for best health (their little whiskers are sensitive on gravel). They are one of the more sensitive cory species available.

Tigris 09-01-2012 02:31 PM

Not all spiney eels are like that, Peacock eel despite the fact that they get to 7-8 in at most aren't going to actively kill other fish....

A black spotted eel would work IMO, they stay smaller than Peacocks