Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   am I missing anything? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/am-i-missing-anything-112605/)

aklick 08-30-2012 09:47 PM

am I missing anything?

I have bought a sponge filter for my 50 gallon tank that I plan on making into a planted tank. I also have bought some black substrate to replace the blue rocks I currently have. Some bristlenose pleco's are on the way along with some plants. I have also ordered a new light fixture. It's a single bulb T5 that I found on sale.

Am I missing anything? I'm new to this

Will I need supplements or fertilizers? If so what are your suggestions and what kind of regimen will I need? Are there any warning signs that I should look for that things are not going well with my plants?

BradSD 08-31-2012 12:13 PM

Pick up some Seachem flourish and dose by the directions. I would mix some eco complete black in with your black rock but others here say no. I also use root tabs in the gravel. You will need a 6500k bulb to go with the light fixture. Find something to feed the Pleco, plant heavy and dont worry about a cycle.

aklick 08-31-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradSD (Post 1221541)
Pick up some Seachem flourish and dose by the directions. I would mix some eco complete black in with your black rock but others here say no. I also use root tabs in the gravel. You will need a 6500k bulb to go with the light fixture. Find something to feed the Pleco, plant heavy and dont worry about a cycle.

Ok thanks. The rocks I got were a bit pricey but have nutrients in them.

This is what I got: I hope its ok. If not I can return it but it sounded good...LOL

Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate - Aquarium Rocks and Fish Tank Rock from petco.com

BradSD 08-31-2012 12:55 PM

Eco Complete works great for me. People here say it wears out after about a year though.

Boredomb 08-31-2012 01:26 PM

I had Eco-complete when I first setup my tank. I found out after time I had to still had root tablets and Flourish Comprehensive. Also it is sharp so I wouldn't suggest any substrate fish with it as it could do some harm to them. I do like the color of it though.
Posted via Mobile Device

aklick 08-31-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1221649)
I had Eco-complete when I first setup my tank. I found out after time I had to still had root tablets and Flourish Comprehensive. Also it is sharp so I wouldn't suggest any substrate fish with it as it could do some harm to them. I do like the color of it though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good to know. Are plecos considered a substrate fish? I have some coming so I want to be sure. I could always cover the top layer up with some smaller, less expensive rocks from my local pet store so it doesn't hurt them.

redchigh 08-31-2012 02:45 PM

I think plecos are tough enough, I'd be worried about loaches and rays mostly.

Byron 09-01-2012 12:17 PM

Substrate fish that like to dig into the substrate or sift it have issues with Eco-complete and Flourish. Loaches, corys, cichlids, etc. I had to remove my corys from the Flourite tank.

Be careful mixing substrate types, they may mix.

Boredomb 09-02-2012 05:43 PM

As others have already said I wouldn't worry about Plecos but more about Loaches, Corys, or anything that will dig into the substrate.
Posted via Mobile Device