Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - what can i buy to help my goldfish? (preferably from walmart) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/what-can-i-buy-help-my-112578/)
what can i buy to help my goldfish? (preferably from walmart)
ok so i have one goldfish left, and she is a fighter! she was acting pretty normal 2 days ago but yesterday she was on the bottom on her side breathing heavy. i had resealed the tank so i moved her to a plastic tub just in case i used the wrong silicone (even though i was told it was correct). i have an aquaclear 70 on it and im going to disinfect my sponge filter and put it in there. she hasnt eatin. params are ammo-0 and nitrite-0 i used the api test kit(liquid). i added some fish protector but what can i do to help her? i can go to petco but id rather get it from walmart if possible.
1. Size of tank?
plastic tote. 50 something liters.
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? will get if needed
d. pH, KH and GH? 7.8 n/a n/a
e. Test kit?
room temp (about 75)
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?
5. How long the aquarium has been set up?
a week but has established filter
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
1 fantail goldfish. about 2 weeks.
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? no
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? barebottom
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
terra cotta pot medium
9. a. Filtration? ac70
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? none
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
11. a. Water change schedule? weekly
b. Volume of water changed? 50%-75%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? tap
d. Water conditioner used? prime
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
12. Foods?currently not being feed for 3 days, plus too weak to eat. were feed nls pellets.
How often are they fed?
once a day
13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? not moving much, but still eating, sitting at top, flipping upside down.
b. Appearance of poop? orange (i think thats from the nls)
c. Appearance of gills? breathing heavily
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? no
b. What meds were used? none
If it's having trouble swimming, it might be the swim bladder. Usually not much you can do, but try adding a couple tablespoons of epsom salts to the aquarium (dissolved in water first of course.)
It will act as a laxative.. sometimes an intestinal blockage will upset the swim bladder. Beyond that, I have no idea. It's sold in the pharmacy and is quite cheap.
Your tank probably has ammonia if your tank is only 2 weeks old, so I would suspect the results of your test.
the filter has been up for a year or so on various different tanks. would aquarium salt serve the same purpose? is the swim bladder disease deadly bc ive lost 2 other goldfish that were with this on in the 55 they were in.
hmm, you didn't mention that the filter was running that long.
swim bladder disease is more of a symptom than a disease, but the symptom can kill fish. Sometimes epsom salts helps, sometimes nothing will help.
Aquarium salt isn't the same thing, you might try using it too though. I'm not really a goldfish expert.
i mean i can go get some epsom salt if itd be better for her but i already have the aquarium salt. she can still swim but i think it takes effort. she mostly just lays on the bottom.
well epsom salt is really good if she can't keep herself right side up. I thought that was a problem.
If she is bloated spinach that is boiled can help. I fed it to my betta when she was bloated and she cleared up in about a week.
she doesnt look bloated to me. she didnt touch spinach when i tried to feed it.
she cant eat. she cant get upright to eat anything. i think its time for epsom salt. do i do a bath or what?
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.