Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Pregnant guppy. Worried. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/pregnant-guppy-worried-112527/)

DragonFyre14 08-30-2012 12:39 AM

Pregnant guppy. Worried.

I have a pregnant guppy that I've had for about a week and a half (not sure how long she's been pregnant) her stomach squared off a while ago. Lately she's been floating on the bottom or top without moving much. This and the fact that there I can see egg shapes in her side with dots that look kind of like eyes, makes me believe she is close to giving birth. I moved her into a well planted 2.5 gallon tank all by herself. But I'm worried about her because her fins seem to be becoming slightly frayed and she just looks pretty stressed out. Is she stressed from her pregnancy? Or the other guppies bothering her? Or is she sick?
Posted via Mobile Device

SeaHorse 08-30-2012 11:19 AM

Hi DragonFyre14. Well catching her and moving her in itself is stressful. Sounds like she is very very close to dropping. Fry often drop in the early morning hours so possibly in the next couple of days. There really isn't a lot you can do, just keep her water very clean. The best medicine is clean water.
Also the fry grown amazingly quicker in water that is kept pristine, like daily changes!!
Good luck, keep us posted! IMO, you did right to move her. I don't like the breeding nets or boxes.

DragonFyre14 08-30-2012 11:24 AM

I checked on her this morning when i woke up hoping to see baby fish swimming all around... instead i found that she had died. this is the second very pregnant guppy (ironically they were both the same color and i gave both the same name) i've had die in a week or so... my tank is new and not entirely cycled (although i tested the water the other day and everything was fine except that it had a high PH and a high KH but i've been led to believe that should be fine for guppies?) Do i just have really bad luck or am i doing something wrong?

SeaHorse 08-30-2012 11:50 AM

Awww, I'm sorry to hear!! That is so discouraging, but we have all been there too! I think it is time to take a step back and wait till you are fully cycled before making another move with this tank i.e. wait to buy any more fish for the moment... Would you fill out the diagnosis form so we can see what is going on? More members will chime in here too now that you are in the New Posts section of the Forum. It looks tedious but you will also possibly have a better understand of your tank when you are done. Thanks.
1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

Have you read the article about cycling a new tank?

DragonFyre14 08-30-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 1220301)
Awww, I'm sorry to hear!! That is so discouraging, but we have all been there too! I think it is time to take a step back and wait till you are fully cycled before making another move with this tank i.e. wait to buy any more fish for the moment... Would you fill out the diagnosis form so we can see what is going on? More members will chime in here too now that you are in the New Posts section of the Forum. It looks tedious but you will also possibly have a better understand of your tank when you are done. Thanks.
1. Size of tank?
29 gallon
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
not sure (when we had the pet store check about a week ago they said it was a little high)
b. Nitrite?
none-very low (test kit said it was in the safe zone)
c. Nitrate?
none-very low
d. pH, KH and GH?
PH- about 8.4
KH- 300 ppm or so
GH- 0 PPM

e. Test kit?
API or Tetra 6 in 1 test kit
3. Temperature?
73-76
4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?
Fresh Water
5. How long the aquarium has been set up?
One week fishless cycle with all previously used decorations 2 weeks with fish (approximately)
6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
I now have 4 guppys (2 fancy females, 1 lyretail, and 1 cobra endler) all a little over 1 inch except for the cobra endler who is about half an inch. had all of them for about 2 weeks and then i have an Albino Bristlenose pleco who is about 1.5 inches long and have had him for about a week
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
yes for about a day.
8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
All fake plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
2 dragon statues, 2 large hollow decorations and one small castle (also hollow)
9. a. Filtration?
Aqueon 30 i believe (it came with my tank)
b. Heater?
Also came with the tank. i know it is an Aqueon but other than that i am not sure at the moment.
10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
keep the lights on at night from about 11 pm to about 9 am
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?
very little sunlight throughout the day
11. a. Water change schedule?
i haven't started to change the water in large volumes yet (i've been told water changes at this stage could sent the tank into another cycle) i just skim off the top layer if i see any excess food floating in it or any other gunk.
b. Volume of water changed?
1 or two cups
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
Tap water
d. Water conditioner used?
Aqueon Conditioner
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?
None as of yet. plan to invest in a vacuum for the tank sometime soon.
12. Foods?
How often are they fed?
I alternate between 3 different flake foods and freeze dried bloodworms. they are fed once every night

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?
Nothing abnormal in other fish. the one who died appeared very stressed with her dorsal and tail fin looking ragged.
14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used? i added a few drops of medication (unsure of brand or exact name) it was meant to help with stress.

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

Have you read the article about cycling a new tank?

All the other fish seem perfectly healthy and very active. The two males tend to chase one of the females and leave the other one alone. Is this normal? could it be harming her health?)

ashokantony 08-30-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1220279)
I checked on her this morning when i woke up hoping to see baby fish swimming all around... instead i found that she had died. this is the second very pregnant guppy (ironically they were both the same color and i gave both the same name) i've had die in a week or so... my tank is new and not entirely cycled (although i tested the water the other day and everything was fine except that it had a high PH and a high KH but i've been led to believe that should be fine for guppies?) Do i just have really bad luck or am i doing something wrong?

What you say fine may not actually be fine. If you can test the water and get the details for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, folks here can help you.

DragonFyre14 08-30-2012 01:06 PM

Okay when i say fine i mean everything was in the safe zone except for the KH which was about 300 PPM and the PH which was about 8.4 however research has showed me that Guppies don't mind and can adjust to the higher PH and that the KH won't be harmful but a lower level would be better to keep the PH from fluctuating.

SeaHorse 08-30-2012 10:52 PM

Hi DragonFyre14. Thank you for the info. very helpful!
First of all your tank will not be cycled until about 6-8 weeks. First the Ammonia will spike high and then drop... then the NitrIte will spike and drop, and then you will see NitrAtes. Each of these 3 if the level gets too high can kill your fish. If you only had the water tested last week then we really don't know what current numbers are from day to day. Does your 6 in one test kit test for Ammonia? If not then as soon as you can afford it, try to get yourself a API freshwater LIQUID testing kit. The strips are not completely reliable as they absorb moisture and humidity. The only way to dilute any of those high numbers is to do BIG water changes, at least 50% DAILY and ride it out, each spike. Remember to check your temperature of the new water and use your de-chlorinator every time. If you don't already have one, get yourself a separate bucket. I have bucket, juice jug, marj tubs, small cups, turkey baster, all separate for each tank so NO cross contamination if you get Ich or a disease.
The hard part is that we all get terrible advice from LFS Local Fish Store staff, some must sell you the wrong fish, they are not allowed to refuse you. How stupid is that. So they set us up to fail by mixing the wrong together. And Guppies have been so over bred that they are more fragile than they used to be, more susceptible to diseases which doesn't help. Don't get discouraged, just get that kit if you can, test daily till you see the numbers settle. Jakie

DragonFyre14 08-31-2012 09:55 AM

Thank you. i guess i didn't realize it would take quiite so long to cycle the tank. I was told somewhere that doing a fishless cycle will take a while but a good way to speed that up dramatically was to add used decorations and such. So I did that but got slightly impatient ;) and through more research i was told guppies were fairly hardy fish and could easily be used to cycle a tank so I used them. although i really want to get one or two more females just to even out the ratio, (i have two males and two females at the moment) I guess i will wait another week or two, that way there won't be as much of a risk of them dying.
Thanks everybody for their helpful information. Since I found this site, I have used it as my bible seeing as how everyone here has at some point (or currently do) own fish and so most know from experience what to do.