Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Close one, guppy nearly died! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/close-one-guppy-nearly-died-112406/)

aussieJJDude 08-29-2012 12:50 AM

Close one, guppy nearly died!

Well today I was doing the tank maintenance and while I was doing it one of my guppies must of jumped out! I was to busy cleaning and doing other things that I didn't notice until i finished. I was walking backwards when I felt something touch my foot, i lift my foot and there was a guppy!She was probably out of the water for 20 mins. She wasn't moving, not even her gills; and I placed her in a net inside the tank. 10 seconds after placing her in the tank I noticed that her gills started to move. after a while she could move her fins so i gently took her out of the net. she still had a bit of trouble - from the other fish peaking her and her swimming ability but now after 5 mins she is back o normal!
I was so worried about her! :cry: And I feel like a bad owner! :-(

sidluckman 08-29-2012 12:56 AM

I had a large shubunkin that did this, too. The fish was on the floor when I returned home from work and the side facing up was quite dry. Amazingly, the fish lived. Lost the eye on the "dry side" and almost all the scales and tissue on that side sloughed off and regrew before it was all over, but the fish, amazingly, lived for years after that incident.

At least you were in the right place at the right time!

aussieJJDude 08-29-2012 01:03 AM

Yes, it was because i was maintaining the tank, but my lesson learnt, only uncover the side you need to work on, don't uncover both sides of the tank!

sidluckman 08-29-2012 01:30 AM

Do you remember the opening of "Monty Python's Flying Circus"? In your case, I think the fish had more to fear from your fast approaching foot!

But I'm glad you were there.

Once, one of my cats snagged a moonlight gourami and was watching it flop around on the floor. I grabbed the fish (covered in cat hair and lint) and tried to rinse it in the kitchen sink. The fish flipped out of my hand and dove down into the garbage disposal which, fortunately, was not on at the time. Yeah, I managed to get the poor girl out of there and back into the tank. It lived.

What really peeves me, though, are all the fish I treat with kid gloves and coddle and baby and spoil and they still check out! Fish can be so incredibly resilient and so fragile. Count yourself lucky today and maybe buy a lottery ticket!

Randy

aussieJJDude 08-29-2012 01:37 AM

Wow, your moonlight is so.... (whats the word?) It great to hear that I am not the only one!
Sorry i am under-aged to buy a lottery ticket! :-D
For some reason she looks more energetic now!

sidluckman 08-29-2012 01:53 AM

Positive after-effect of a near death experience!