Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Suggestions?

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  crazy4fish 
#1 ·
I set up a 29 gallon tank a fewdays ago, and I'm trying to plan it out. It is going to be a planted tank with a few pieces of driftwood. I need some help deciding on fish to put in it. I'm planning on a few african butterfly fish, some tetras, and maybe some gouramis. Any ideas/suggestions?

#6 ·
Gouramies are cool to see. I wouldn't go with angels since a 29g is on the small since for them. I have a 55g and did a lot of research on angels. My end result was even the 55 is too small for them to be really happy or to have more than 2-3. [/list]

#9 ·
I'd worry about barbs nipping at the ABF, and them responding by eating the barbs. I've heard that ABF are fine with bottom dwellers, as they really don't leave the top of the tank, so you shouldn't have any trouble adding a few cool shrimp. Plus, good cleanup crew!

What sort of substrate are you thinking? What do you plan on feeding the ABF? Cooooool :D

#10 ·
I'll be feeding him freeze-dried blood worms and such. After your suggestion, I will most likely be doing cherry barbs, or a large group of tiger barbs, I'm not sure. And The substrate is Eco-Complete planted tank substrate, and I've got a feww bulbs in it already. Also, I will most likely add a few shrimp, maybe a cobalt blue lobster, I'm not sure, plus sme freshwater clams.

#11 ·
i would think about either corys or kuhli loaches. :D and i would get some rainbow fish or gouramis for the middle layer. just to even it out. plus i think a few larger fish would be nice. but if you are still getting the barbs AND tetras then skip the rainbowfish and gouramis. personally i would get the ABF, kuhli loaches, tetras, and rainbow fish. i think that would be a nice combo. if you arent into snake-like fish then replace the kuhlis with some corys. :wink:

#12 ·
If you're interested in rainbows be careful...alot of rainbows will not work in a 29. Praecox or Threadfins could work. But Boesemani, Red Irian, Australian I wouldn't put in anything smaller than a 55. My Boesemani are very active swimmers and use every inch of my 4 ft tank!

#13 ·
in replace of the rainbows you could use gouramis or clown rasboras. :wink:

#14 ·
No, I'm not very interested in rainbowfish. How does this sound:

2 African Buttlerfly Fish
4 Cherry Barbs
2 Dwarf Gouramis
a few corys, not sure what kind
a few freshwater clams
some shrimp or a blue lobster
and what are kuhli loaches? snake-like fish is always a good adjective in my eyes, and definitely catches my interest.

#16 ·
I would worry a lot about keeping the ABF with Dwarf Gourami. The ABF's will prey on pretty much all other surface dwelling fish. As for invertebrates, I'd avoid the Blue Lobster, as he'll beat on the other bottom dwellers, but you should be just fine with shrimp, and there are some really colourful ones if that's what you're looking for.

Kuhli's are awesome. They aren't very tricky fish. A soft substrate and as big a group as you can fit is mostly what they need to survive. Also, sinking pellets, as they definitely won't survive off of algae. They like lots of plants and caves to hide in. I'd drop the corys, as it will be crowding your bottom level to keep two different creatures that live best in groups. I'd say you can get away with 4-6 loaches (especially if you drop the gourami). You could also probably put a cool pleco in that doesn't grow very large.

#17 ·
#19 ·
Yes, the African Butterflyfish is the fish I'm talking about. I fell in love with them when I saw the in Aquarium Fish Magazine. Ok, does this sound like a good lineup?

2 ABF
6 kuhli loaches (I love them!)
Bushy Nose Pleco
4-6 Cherry Barbs
A few shrimp

Are there any other middle-layer fish I could include?

#20 ·
maybe you could get some.... rainbowfish, platies, killifish(dont know how they will do with the butterflys), penguinfish, hatchet fish, rummynoses, black neons, clown or harlequin rasboras, white clouds and maybe a small shark of some type. (i dont know much about the ABF so let me know if any of these fish will be a problem with them).

#22 ·
do kuhlis count for as many inches as they actually are since they stay still and hidden most of the time? i thought they would but wasnt sure.

#24 ·
Kuhlis like to be in groups so I would make sure there are at least 4-6 of them.

The blue lobster shouldn't be kept with fish as it is an ambush predatr and eventually is likely to eat all your fish. Not sure about the clam as I've heard mixed reviews on them.

#25 ·
yeah stay away from the lobster :wink:

#26 ·
Ok, my OCD changed my mind about my lineup. I don't want to have fish from more than one continent, so I've decided to only have fish from Asia in my tank. My new lineup is:
6 kuhli loaches
6 cherry barbs
4 rasboras
2 dwarf gouramis
maybe some shrimp, but I doubt it. What are some cleaners from Asia I could use?

(Sorry to change so much mid-stream, btw, I just...changed.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.