Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Nest of bubbles?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/nest-bubbles-112328/)

Sqbear46 08-28-2012 03:47 PM

Nest of bubbles??

1 Attachment(s)
I was told that when my Gourami lays her eggs that it will look like a "nest of bubbles" but in my 20 gal tank i have the underground filter that has the clear tubes on the sides and these make bubbles on top of the tank, so where should i be looking for a "nest" of bubbles that could be eggs??

Also when i find them do i then take the daddy and the nest of eggs out and put them into my 5 gal tank i bought esp for keeping the babies safe from the other fish before they hatch? Of course i will take daddy out when they hatch.

Now that i looked closer in the tank i think i may have 2 pregnant Gourami's

Blackfeet 08-28-2012 04:29 PM

I don't know guarmis' from personal experience but if they act like bettas you should setup an area no surface water disturbance. The easiest way to do that would be to put a piece of wax paper at the top in a corner at least 4 inches by 4inches they would make a nest there and then you could move the daddy and eggs as soon as you see the eggs

3ndler3nvy 09-04-2012 01:16 AM

Gourami and Bettas are related. They build bubble nests and then blow their eggs in to the bubble. Gourami don't get pregnant as they are egg layers and not livebearers. If you attempt to move a bubble nest, you will destroy it. You'd probably be better off with seeing how things play out.

jaysee 09-04-2012 07:34 AM

I agree, see how things play out.

Another thing you can do to help build the nest is to use half of a styrofoam cup. Cut it down the middle so that you have 2 equal halves. Stick one in the corner of the tank.

Sqbear46 09-04-2012 01:32 PM

Do i lay each 1/2 of the cut cup on the bottom of the tank in a corner or do i allow them to float on the top of the tank in 2 corners???

Thanks

jaysee 09-04-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sqbear46 (Post 1228529)
Do i lay each 1/2 of the cut cup on the bottom of the tank in a corner or do i allow them to float on the top of the tank in 2 corners???

Thanks

Well, since the bubbles float, the styrofoam should be at the surface - the point is to provide protection. AqualandPetsplus has some good pictures of the cup - under the "spawn gouramis" tab on the right.

bdgiese90 09-04-2012 09:59 PM

You could always get a breeder net for your tank too. We sell them at Petco. Pretty inexpensive, and you can isolate the fry in the same tank, safely from daddy (or any other hungry fish you might have). I think <$10. I believe it hangs off of the top of the tank.

Might I also add that the $1/gal sale is going on, so if you do choose to isolate your fry, 10g tanks are cheap. I don't believe the sale applies to tanks smaller than 10g.

Sqbear46 09-04-2012 10:35 PM

Thanks Jaysee, i now have the cut cup in the tank. I will just see what happens.

Bd, thanks for your advice, i do have a 5 gal tank that's already cycled and ready to go, just need the babies, i also have the breeder net, so it really depends on if i'm around when the babies are hatched/born and how fast i get to them before the other fish do.

Thanks everyone!

bdgiese90 09-04-2012 10:39 PM

I definitely didn't read your OP good enough. Sorry for that. If it were me I'd be sitting in front of my tank waiting for them to hatch lol

Note: Gouramis are egglayers, friendly fyi :-)

Sqbear46 09-04-2012 10:41 PM

Sssshhhhhh, don't tell anyone but i try to pretend that i have a life besides watching my fish tanks...hahahaha.....thanks again!