Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   protein skimmer setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/protein-skimmer-setup-112325/)

evanlundberg4 08-28-2012 03:05 PM

protein skimmer setup
 
So I have a relatively new saltwater tank. I have live rock and an external power filter for filtration. From what I've read online and in books a protein skimmer is an essential part to every successful saltwater aquarium. I'm looking for some advice on what would be the best setup for my aquarium. Its a 55 gallon FOWLR for now and I have two damselfish and a firefish in it. I don't foresee getting into any real corals with it but maybe an anemone someday. Anyway I'm starting to see a bunch of crud and what looks like an oily substance floating on top of the water from tine to time so I figured this means its time to make the investment. Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Reefing Madness 08-28-2012 07:42 PM

Hang On Back Skimmer?
Reef Octopus BH1000
SWC Xtreme hang On Tank Skimmer
Bubble Magus NAC5E Hang On Back Needle Wheel Skimmer

evanlundberg4 08-28-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1218212)
Hang On Back Skimmer?
Reef Octopus BH1000
SWC Xtreme hang On Tank Skimmer
Bubble Magus NAC5E Hang On Back Needle Wheel Skimmer

Yeah a hang on back would be fine. Is there such a thing as a sump skimmer? I don't want to get too overly complicated but would be nice to not have a skimmer and a filter hanging on my tank.

Tazman 08-28-2012 09:36 PM

Yes there are sump skimmers. I have one and so do lots of people :-)

Reefing Madness 08-28-2012 09:37 PM

Oh yea, there are in sump skimmers. All the ones I listed, the companys also have in sump skimmers. Such as
Octopus - Bulk Reef Supply
Protein Skimmer Filer Power Pump Large Aquarium Fish Tank Sal Water New | eBay

92smokeaccord 08-28-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1218420)
Oh yea, there are in sump skimmers. All the ones I listed, the companys also have in sump skimmers. Such as
Octopus - Bulk Reef Supply
Protein Skimmer Filer Power Pump Large Aquarium Fish Tank Sal Water New | eBay

i just bought the bottom one 3 days ago.ill let you kno how she runs

Reefing Madness 08-28-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92smokeaccord (Post 1218428)
i just bought the bottom one 3 days ago.ill let you kno how she runs

Right on!! Very nice. Definately let us in on the info.

92smokeaccord 08-28-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1218439)
Right on!! Very nice. Definately let us in on the info.

no prob!if i have batterys ill get a vid for ya.

Reefing Madness 08-29-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92smokeaccord (Post 1218457)
no prob!if i have batterys ill get a vid for ya.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

evanlundberg4 08-29-2012 01:59 PM

so i ended up buying that octopus in sump skimmer after looking at all the suggestions you gave me. thanks for the info! I will let you know how it works out 8-)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2