Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bristlenose question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bristlenose-question-112155/)

marshallsea 08-27-2012 08:04 AM

Bristlenose question

I'm new to owning a pleco and have questions. What are the signs of a healthy and unhealthy Pleco? Mine spends daytime hiding or on the driftwood under plants and I assume this is normal. What makes me wonder is that when he's stationary his dorsal and tail fin seem clamped. Is this normal?

1077 08-27-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1215782)
I'm new to owning a pleco and have questions. What are the signs of a healthy and unhealthy Pleco? Mine spends daytime hiding or on the driftwood under plants and I assume this is normal. What makes me wonder is that when he's stationary his dorsal and tail fin seem clamped. Is this normal?

Sign's most easily recognized with regard's to a healthy specimen is the belly of the fish and activity level.
Healthy fish that is well fed,will have plump belley rather than concave(sunken), and will be far more active at night, than during the day.
In my expieriences with the Bristlenose, a fish that is constantly searching for food during the day, is indicator that possibly it is not getting enough vegetable,algae based food's, and is scrounging for bit's of leftover's offered other fishes.
Fat healthy Adult specimen's do indeed keep close to the wood or out of site during the day for the most part, unless food is offered.(young ones are more active)
Would not worry bout the fin's being clamped, assuming water quality/dietary need's are being met.

marshallsea 08-27-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1215795)
Sign's most easily recognized with regard's to a healthy specimen is the belly of the fish and activity level.
Healthy fish that is well fed,will have plump belley rather than concave(sunken), and will be far more active at night, than during the day.
In my expieriences with the Bristlenose, a fish that is constantly searching for food during the day, is indicator that possibly it is not getting enough vegetable,algae based food's, and is scrounging for bit's of leftover's offered other fishes.
Fat healthy Adult specimen's do indeed keep close to the wood or out of site during the day for the most part, unless food is offered.(young ones are more active)
Would not worry bout the fin's being clamped, assuming water quality/dietary need's are being met.

Thank you for your help, all good news.

jaysee 08-27-2012 01:01 PM

The clamped fins when it is attached to a surface reduce drag. The fins should be erect when the fish is on the move.

marshallsea 08-27-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1216054)
The clamped fins when it is attached to a surface reduce drag. The fins should be erect when the fish is on the move.

Good info, thank you.