Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Out of the Ordinary Ideas? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/out-ordinary-ideas-112126/)

NeedToKnow 08-27-2012 12:34 AM

Out of the Ordinary Ideas?

I know I don't have many options since the tank is so small, but does anyone have some out of the box ideas for stocking a 10g tank?

I saw a tank at the Florida Aquarium that used Legos as decorations, and I thougt it looked really cool, so I am debating doing something like that in mine. If not, maybe lightly planted.I honestly have no idea. I'm open to any out of the ordinary suggestions.

And no, a larger tank is most likely not an option...

Blackfeet 08-27-2012 04:31 AM

I have an odd ball rock formation you could make. It should be the cost of the gas to get it but harder to set up completely. Cement. I used to work at a concrete block manufacturing plant in Fl. When we cleaned the machines which is every other 8 hour shift. We got some of the most interesting formations. They looked like the walls out of a limestone cave or the cap of very odd looking mushrooms cut in half. This would create caves and ledges for you fish to hide in when used as a background. You could save a trip and get a bag of sand for your substrate while you are there. Just make sure everything is stable before you put your fish in there.

NeedToKnow 08-27-2012 10:54 AM

That sounds really cool. Do you have any stocking ideas?

thekoimaiden 08-27-2012 11:33 AM

What about some of the smaller species of puffer? I think there are some freshwater ones that can live in a 10 gal.

Some of the tiny gourami like sparkling gourami and licorice gourami can live in a 10 gal. And some of the tiny species of rasbora like the mosquito rasbora. But no mention has been made of water parameters? A lot of these tiny fish are also very sensitive.

NeedToKnow 08-27-2012 11:45 AM

So far, there is nothing as far as water parameters. I thought I would get some stocking ideas, and once I found one that I liked, I would check compatability and figure out the water. My house is generally 75F, but I can get a heater if necessary.
I was actually thinking about a dwarf puffer fish, which needs 5g per fish. I would probably only put one, as they can be aggressive towards each other, but are there many fish that can go with a puffer?
My biggest problem with the puffers is that they need a lot of plants, don't they? Or is that only if there are more than one puffer?

emeraldsky 08-27-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedToKnow (Post 1215970)
So far, there is nothing as far as water parameters. I thought I would get some stocking ideas, and once I found one that I liked, I would check compatability and figure out the water. My house is generally 75F, but I can get a heater if necessary.
I was actually thinking about a dwarf puffer fish, which needs 5g per fish. I would probably only put one, as they can be aggressive towards each other, but are there many fish that can go with a puffer?
My biggest problem with the puffers is that they need a lot of plants, don't they? Or is that only if there are more than one puffer?

You can actually fit 3 dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon so long as it is heavily planted/decorated. You need to break the line of sight and allow each puffer to have its own territory.

As for other fish with puffers, the answer is generally no. Puffers are aggressive and fin nippers so they do best in solitary or species only tanks, depending on the puff. You could try otocinclus or shrimp but depending on the puffer, it will attack the otos and find the shrimp delicious.

Puffers dont specifically need plants (Though live plants are incredibly beneficial), they need something to keep them amused which a lot of plants or decorations will do. They are very curious and intelligent fish and if you dont give them something to do they will become bored and glass surf.

Keep in mind dwarf puffers are incredibly messy should you decide to have more than one.

NeedToKnow 08-27-2012 05:01 PM

Alright. Thanks. Puffers are definitely one of my top choices.
Are there any other out of the ordinary stocking ideas?

redchigh 08-27-2012 05:06 PM

Definately check your parameters of your tap water first. Then we can come up with good things to fit that water.

Right now, one of my favorite tanks is cories and mixed livebearers... lots of color, lots of activity, and everything's peaceful... (with plants of course)

NeedToKnow 08-27-2012 05:34 PM

What kind of parameters do I need to post? I thought I could adjust the water to what the fish would need, that way I wouldn't be as limited in my choices. Like a dwarf puffer for example. My water, at room temp, is about 75F, so i would get a heater to keep it at around 80F for the puffer. Sorry if I'm not making sense, I'm new to this..

thekoimaiden 08-27-2012 05:41 PM

Temperature isn't really a parameter. It's a condition that can be easily changed. Almost all of us use heaters in at least some of our tanks.

What we are talking about is the pH and hardness (GH and KH) of your tap water. These are not so easily changed. Which is why it is better to find fish that work in your water than change your water to suit the fish. Trust me, it just becomes a headache.

This will explain a lot more including the details of pH and hardness: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-73276/