Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   watts per gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/watts-per-gallon-1121/)

trreherd 10-29-2006 08:04 PM

watts per gallon

How many watts per gallon would be good for a 20 long planted tank?I want to keep anaracis and i want them to thrive-In my tank i have 2 wpg and my anarcis is limp.What kind of light is the best, color inhancing or 6,500?I was thinking a duel bulb flourecent strip one color enhncing one 65000k that would only bring it up to 60 watts/3wpg-is that enuff-Watt do u use?

crazie.eddie 10-29-2006 10:38 PM

Do you mean Anacharis? If so, 2 wpg should be sufficient. If you go with 3wpg, then you will need to add CO2 and probably additional ferts. Is it turning lite green?

trreherd 10-30-2006 02:47 PM

crazy eddi-(If you go with 3wpg, then you will need to add CO2 and probably additional ferts)
:?
Thats weird i would have figured more light would meen that the plants would deppend less on other sorces of energy?

And no the plants are not light green they are dark green with spots of dead on them

The reason i know there not doing good is because the one in the front that gets direct sunlight is a nice color and its roots are sprouting very nicely-while the ones in th back have not sprouted roots yet acualy the roots look pretty dead.

Andrew 10-30-2006 06:28 PM

Nope hes right its all a balance you see, if you throw in more light than co2 the plants wont be able to utilise the extra energy but the algae will and then you get a bloom. Personally i think you should use CO2 in any planted set up if you are serious about plants that is. I have 2.5 watts per gallon in mine.

trreherd 10-31-2006 08:26 PM

The thing is i want plants but i also want a good amount of fish and i know i cant add co2 with a heavily stocked tank(cause the fish would have no air)

crazie.eddie 10-31-2006 10:24 PM

You go with a low tech tank, which has no CO2 and low lights. Make sure you get low light plants as well.

The thing is, you can still have CO2 with a stocked tank, you just have to balance out the correct amount of CO2. When you see fish gasping at the surface, then you know you have too much CO2. Also, make sure you turn of the CO2 at night, since plants only require CO2 during photosynthesis. At night, plants require O2.

caferacermike 11-01-2006 07:32 AM

Eddie is giving you some great advice.My girl recently broke her planted tank down but our setup consisted of a 20g tank, 130w 10K power compacts, a complete Co2 setup, clay substrate, substrate ribbon heater, an Eheim canister but the return was worked so it was about 6" under the surface so as not to ripple the water. Andrew and Eddie are both steering you correct by saying that as your lighting goes up so do the demands of the plants. Basically if you provide more light than can be used then other organisms can grow. Let's say that a tank is a 100% process. 33% is light, 33% is nutrition (fertilizers and such), and the last 33% is carbon dioxide. If you add a light strong enough to equal 50% of the equation your plants will spurt in growth but quickly run out of fertilizer or CO2. It takes all 3 to produce.

3wpg is considered low tech. 5w and up is considered high tech. Each can produce great results. Head to your lfs and look for some back issues of TFH magazine. About 2 months ago was an article about high and low tech tanks and the results. There has been an author there for a long time talking about plants. She is def a low tech supporter. Within the last year readers have gotten hooked on the Amano tank contributions to the magazine and have kind of quit paying attention to her. She retaliated bby writing a huge article about low tech tanks. It's a good article. I can find the exact copy if you want it.

trreherd 11-01-2006 02:34 PM

Ya i will deffenetly go low tech cause i belive freshwater tanks are all about the interesting fish within them,If i wanted to have interesting things other than fish thats what saltwater is for :D So mike says a can still do 3 watts per gallon and keep it low tech-Is that rite?

Andrew 11-01-2006 03:24 PM

Well we are a diverse bunch if you want help with plants others here are very good at that, if you want help with just fish then some members here are excellent at medication advice etc......
It all depends on experience and setup- ultimately the decision is yours as it is your tank not ours!- only you know what you want to achieve.

Oh and i am so glad someone understood what i wrote- i knew it made sense in my head lol!!

trreherd 11-01-2006 05:27 PM

Ya i know its my decition so i will use the double bulb fixture and run 3 wpg and if it is too much i will just take one of the bulbs out