Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Bristlenose Catfish, algae, and plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bristlenose-catfish-algae-plants-1119/)

jsm11482 10-29-2006 07:50 PM

Bristlenose Catfish, algae, and plants

Hi, I want to get some bristlenose catfish for my 90gal to get rid of some green "hair?" algae I have growing. Question is, how many should I get and will they eat my plants? If they will then what can I get instead to do the job but not eat the plants. If i catch them eating the plants they are going back to the LFS!

Thanks!

Lupin 10-29-2006 08:02 PM

You have to feed your bristlenose veggies to prevent them from eating the plants. Some fish eat specific types of algae. Seems yours is filamentous green algae.
Give Amano shrimps a try. They will often relish hair algae. I have read a few sites stating rosy barbs as the solution to eliminating hair algae.:shock2:

jsm11482 10-29-2006 08:11 PM

I have 4 Amano Shrimp in there already and I have no clue where they are. They are hiding in the plants I guess. Also, they don't seem to ever get the algae off of the glass. How many shrimp should i have for a 90gal?

Lupin 10-29-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsm11482
I have 4 Amano Shrimp in there already and I have no clue where they are. They are hiding in the plants I guess. Also, they don't seem to ever get the algae off of the glass. How many shrimp should i have for a 90gal?

20 should be fine. You have to be aware with the fish you are introducing. Their exoskeleton tend to soften making them quite vulnerable to being eaten.
Angelfish tend to eat shrimps so you will be given a choice: angelfish or Amano shrimps.

jsm11482 10-29-2006 09:24 PM

Well you know I'm getting discus. So the question is, do I care if they eat the shrimp?

Lupin 10-29-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Well you know I'm getting discus. So the question is, do I care if they eat the shrimp?

For this case, unfortunately, they will.:blueworry: So I guess you might have to settle with a BN.
But if you can provide thickets of plants aside from those you have currently, the shrimps may survive.

jsm11482 10-29-2006 09:29 PM

Ive looked in the tank thoroughly and only once have I spotted a shrimp. The plants are becoming think so maybe they will be ok. However, if I get some bristlenose, how many for a 90g?

Lupin 10-29-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Ive looked in the tank thoroughly and only once have I spotted a shrimp. The plants are becoming think so maybe they will be ok. However, if I get some bristlenose, how many for a 90g?

One or a pair is enough. Pls take note you'll be doing more water changes as BNs tend to poop a lot.

crazie.eddie 10-29-2006 11:43 PM

BN's do not eat hair algae.

Amano shrimps do not eat algae on glass. If the algae on the glass can easil be rubbed and not scraped off with a blade, then BN's, ottos, even Gold nugget plecos should be fine.

Rob1619 10-30-2006 02:55 AM

Black Mollies are good algea eaters..but It is important to NOT FEED THEM then they are not so eager to eat algea.
Otocinclus sp. are also good algea eaters and Amano shrimps.
The Amano shrimps i also have in my 75g tank..i had 10 but i think half of them are eaten but they will survive if they have hidding spots.