Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   new sparkling gouramis! question abourt feeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/new-sparkling-gouramis-question-abourt-feeding-111852/)

grannyfish 08-24-2012 01:23 PM

new sparkling gouramis! question abourt feeding

I finally found some sparkling gouramis!

A small local dealer had 5 that just came in a shipment and I bought them all. They look very delicate and one's tail fin is a bit ragged. I hope they will thrive in my set-up. I traded in my zebra danios and serpae tetra so the 10 gallon planted tank now has the gouramis, 3 otos and red cherry shrimp AND I also bought 2 rather emaciated looking celestial pearl danios they were keeping in a small tank with black molly fry. I felt I was rescuing them but maybe that was a mistake....

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to daily feedings. I gave them frozen daphnia immediately and they gobbled that up. I also have a good flake food that I will crush very small for them.

I intend to raise brine shrimp for them but I think I have read you have to be careful not to over feed live food.

Should I primarily feed them the dried flake food with daphnia and brine shrimp occasionally?? Or any other suggestions?

redchigh 08-24-2012 01:46 PM

I feed my fish live food every other day, and flake food everyday in small meals.

Just follow the rule- Feed them as much as they can consume in 2-3 minutes, a couple times a day. Fasting one day a week is also good for them.

Byron 08-26-2012 02:37 PM

Live foods are fine if you have a constant supply as redchigh does. But if you don't, the danger is that finnicky fish will get used to the live and ignore anything else, and I have known fish to starve comletely to death because of this. So get the fish on to prepared foods as soon as you can.

My SG have always eaten flake and pellet (micro) foods, and frozen bloodworms once a week if that is all they get aside from the prepared.

Daphnia is an excellent food. Sadly, in Canada I can no longer get it. Some issue with not letting it into the country, can't remember exactly the reason.

grannyfish 08-26-2012 06:38 PM

There are a number of Youtube videos on how to grow your own daphnia cultures if you were interested.
I found my 35 year old equipment to raise brine shrimp in that works really well so I think I will set it up but I will wait until I know the fish are feeding well on prepared foods.

I am sad to say I have already lost a couple of the SG's - they looked weak when I bought them but I really wanted to try them. The remaining ones are eating well. I wish there were more suppliers in my area I am VERY limited in sources.