Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Possible change to playsand (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/possible-change-playsand-111845/)

bigehugedome 08-24-2012 12:53 PM

Possible change to playsand

Hello All,

im getting ready to move to a new apartment. Its in the same complex im at now so it should not be a hard move. Im thinking of changing my substrate from black eco complete gravel to playsand, as I already have the sand. I just wanted opionions to see if im over looking anything.

The tank stocks:
Black neon tetras
Hengels Rasbora
Rummynose Tetra
Zebra Loaches
1 BN Pleco
1 Pearl Gourami
1bamboo shrimp

It is currently black substrate on black background, which make it hard to see the black neons, zebra loaches and pleco. With this stock list is it just up to prefrence, or am i over looking something,

Would it be OK to change to sand when I move provided that I move some gravel over in a bag to help the seed?

redchigh 08-24-2012 01:07 PM

How big is the tank?

The tetras, rasboras, and loaches need to be in a group... (min. 3 for the loaches, min. 6 for the others)

As long as you move the filter and keep it moist during the trip, you should be okay as far as cycling. Just do big water changes for the first few days to be on the safe side.

Also, if you're going planted (I hope you are), a small amount of soil (a few tablespoons of rinsed soil) does wonders mixed into the bottom layer of sand... The detritus from vacuuming the tank and rinsing out the filter will also work.

TheWonderfulWub 08-24-2012 03:11 PM

Just make sure you rinse it really well beforehand, otherwise you're going to end up with a cloudy mess that won't go away.

redchigh 08-24-2012 03:21 PM

Indeed, rinse the top half of soil as well as possible... The bottom inch of sand it doesn't really matter.

bigehugedome 08-24-2012 03:39 PM

Sorry for the lack of info, did not include numbers since im at work and busy. The tank is a 29 gallon, and all the mentioned fish are in their approprite grouping.. I may be considered somewhat overstock but the tank has been running for two years now and it is planted.

I already have done tanks with sand, and understand that it needs to be cleaned very very well. The soil thing is new to me.

I just wanted to see if there is anything im overlooking, and wanted to make sure doing it the same time as the move is OK, because that makes sense labor and time wise.

Byron 08-24-2012 07:53 PM

You won't have ammonia or nitrite issues with live plants. I have changed five of my tanks during the past 2 years from gravel to sand with no issues. The wood/rock in the tank will carry a host of bacteria with it (don't rinse it), as will the plants, and the filter as someone mentioned, though I always thoroughly rinse the filter media (under the tap too) when resetting a tank as it is easier then to dismantle it. The plants will handle this anyway, but the bacteria on the leaves and the wood, etc take up any slack.

I really would not mess with soil, but that is up to you.;-) Especially with your loaches that will dig down, at least mine do, they remarkably have dug tunnels down 2-3 inches between river rocks. That will make a real mess with soil.

Byron.

cwmorrow 08-25-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1212687)
I really would not mess with soil, but that is up to you.;-) Especially with your loaches that will dig down, at least mine do, they remarkably have dug tunnels down 2-3 inches between river rocks. That will make a real mess with soil.

Byron.

I've been a soil advocate. I also like eco-complete, but it is too expensive for me in large tanks. Plants in twenties and tens do well with it.
The forty has soil with a sand cap. And a gravel cap on top of that. My Wife's loaches kept the soil stirred up. We moved them to a fifty and the forty became crystal clear. I recommend not using soil with loaches.

Washed playsand does well for me with fertilizer tabs. I washed it for a very long time. A HOB filter clears the water in three or four days.

I have read that the liquid fertilizer Byron recommends melts valisneria, so I have not tried it. Val is certainly sensitive to low light and pH. Byron, do you have valisneria?

Wayne

Byron 08-26-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwmorrow (Post 1213913)
I've been a soil advocate. I also like eco-complete, but it is too expensive for me in large tanks. Plants in twenties and tens do well with it.
The forty has soil with a sand cap. And a gravel cap on top of that. My Wife's loaches kept the soil stirred up. We moved them to a fifty and the forty became crystal clear. I recommend not using soil with loaches.

Washed playsand does well for me with fertilizer tabs. I washed it for a very long time. A HOB filter clears the water in three or four days.

I have read that the liquid fertilizer Byron recommends melts valisneria, so I have not tried it. Val is certainly sensitive to low light and pH. Byron, do you have valisneria?

Wayne

I have Corkscrew Vallisneria but it is not doing well due to minimal light and soft water.

bigehugedome 09-01-2012 11:09 PM

I made the change and it was worth it. looks much better. Thanks

cwmorrow 09-02-2012 09:39 AM

I am setting up a tank with pool filter sand. I'm amazed at how clean it is. It was only rinsed twice in a bucket, and it looks really nice.

Thanks to whoever suggested it.