Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking my 29 gallon tank! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-my-29-gallon-tank-111709/)

xtinkx 08-23-2012 09:49 AM

Stocking my 29 gallon tank!

Hello everyone! First post here.. I have yearssss experience with Freshwater. And I have also done a tiny bit of Brackish. Long story short here I got everything to do a 29 gallon Saltwater and failed terribly. I got ich and killed everything. :( I only had this about 6 months and $600 later I gave up.. Just not for me. So, I cleaned the tank fully out and got new supplies to have a freshwater tank! I have kept just about everything, but it's been awhile. I can not decide if I want a totally dark theme with a bunch of Glofish(love this new guys!) or a natural theme with just commnity. For that we was thinking a school of Cardinals, Kuhli Loachs, a Bristtlenose, maybe an Angel, and some Mollies. What do you all think?? Any experience with Glofish. I love them! But not too sure how I'd like having just them.

fishlover1138 08-23-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtinkx (Post 1210793)
Hello everyone! First post here.. I have yearssss experience with Freshwater. And I have also done a tiny bit of Brackish. Long story short here I got everything to do a 29 gallon Saltwater and failed terribly. I got ich and killed everything. :( I only had this about 6 months and $600 later I gave up.. Just not for me. So, I cleaned the tank fully out and got new supplies to have a freshwater tank! I have kept just about everything, but it's been awhile. I can not decide if I want a totally dark theme with a bunch of Glofish(love this new guys!) or a natural theme with just commnity. For that we was thinking a school of Cardinals, Kuhli Loachs, a Bristtlenose, maybe an Angel, and some Mollies. What do you all think?? Any experience with Glofish. I love them! But not too sure how I'd like having just them.

I THINK THAT THE DARK THEME WOULD BE SO COOL. just for glow fish you need LED lights for bringing out the shine and the gravel or sand should be black with glow in the dar accents. glo fish are just like zebra danios in fact they are the same species. that would look great. but put in some corycats. those would look goood.

thekoimaiden 08-23-2012 03:12 PM

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry saltwater didn't work out for you. We do have a saltwater section here if you want to check that out and try to figure out what went wrong.

Personally I like the kuhli loach/cardinal tetra idea better, but is because those are two of my favorite fish. I actually have a tank like this minus the cardinals. The tank needs to mature more. But I only recommend this if you have soft water. Cardinals won't last long or be as beautiful in hard water. As far as the angel and mollies, I think that will overcrowd the tank and generally not be a good idea for a number of reasons. The angel will probably pick on and maybe eat the tetra. The mollies will not do well in the soft water that the cardinals need. A large school of cardinals with maybe one centerpeice fish like a honey gourami would be best.

That being said, I also like your glofish idea. Glofish are genetically zebra danio which are a very hardy fish. If you do go that route, get black sand and some albino bronze cory. They will really stand out on the black sand. You could even try to find black light for some interesting night time viewing!

Byron 08-24-2012 10:58 AM

Welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:-D

I concur with what Izzy said re the fish compatibility issues. And just so you kn ow, we have fish profiles under the second tab fro the left in the blue bar across the top. Data for each species includes water parameters, numbers (for shoaling fish), compatibility issues, tank size, etc .

Byron.