Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Celestial Pearl Danios ( Galaxy Rasboras ) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/celestial-pearl-danios-galaxy-rasboras-11146/)

RJoyTrask 01-22-2008 11:09 PM

Celestial Pearl Danios ( Galaxy Rasboras )

:D I just had to share my excitement with everyone. Yesterday we went to the one of our local pet stores just to look at some fish as usual. I was standing there looking at some Bettas when my boyfriend comes over all excited. He had been watching this tank of little fish for a couple of weeks because he had some suspisions as to what they were, and Yesterday his suspisions were cemented. In this tank were 36 Celestial Pearl Danios marked as Assorted Tetras. It was hard for me to believe because here is this species that was just dicovered in 2006 and we just read about them in July 2007 so there is no way they have this fish this soon and them not know what it was. But we do have them and in one day of feeding them baby brine shrimp and krill at least 10 of them have the majority of their adult colors. We are so excited and we bought them all because we wanted to make sure that they all get used for breeding instead of left in a tank just to look pretty never to spawn and rehabilitate a fish that is near extinction. It makes me very happy to know how prolific and easy to breed they are. Even last night withing 2 hours of putting them in their tank a pair of them put on either a practice or real spawning ritual for us. Oh and since we didn't pay the price they would normally go for, does anyone know how much they do sell for. And as much as we love all of our other fish these ones with be our main concern, so I need as much help from people as they are willing to give. Oh by the way did I even say YIPPPPIIIIIEEE!!!!! They are so beautiful even though they haven't received their adult colors.

Rachelle

herefishy 01-23-2008 01:13 AM

Congrats. I have over 150 of these beauties in breeding tanks and have been breeding them for almost 9 months now. I wholesale these fish for around $6 each. I don't know how many I have in the rearing tanks, trying to get them up to selling size. Great prize.

Falina 01-23-2008 02:03 AM

I guess then that there is ONE benefit from the lack of knowledge many of the fish stores have.

Any photos?

Cody 01-23-2008 06:35 PM

Congrats!

I realy like these fish, but none of my LFS's sell them. Is there a site in where I could buy one?

Do you have pics as well?

RJoyTrask 01-23-2008 07:50 PM

Well I don't have anypictures yet because I have not mastered taking a fishes picture with the camera I have. And unfortunitly we lost one of them today so we are now down to 35, but here is hoping that the majority of the ones left are female. Since the whole sale price you have there then means that we might as well had robbed the store blind. I just wonder where the store ordered them from and how much they had to pay.

Cody 01-23-2008 09:43 PM

I have found two websites online, so I might read the reviews and pick which one I like better. One sells them for $7, while the other is $8.

I was thiking about buying around 6 or 7 for my 6 Gallon, and when I upgrade to a 20G, I will expand.

The-Wolf 01-24-2008 11:33 AM

breaking news.
Celestichtys is no longer the genus for these fish, they have been moved in to the Danio genus, and rightly so.
Common name is expect to become galaxy or celestial danio.

For more information see the paper: The "Celestial pearldanio" is a miniature Danio (s.s) (Ostariophysi: Cyprinidae): evidence from morphology and molecules. Zootaxa. by Conway KW, Chen W-J and RL Mayden (2008)
or read about it on PFKs website
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk

Lupin 01-24-2008 05:23 PM

It's now Danio margaritatus. Ditto, Wolfy.

RJoyTrask 01-30-2008 10:43 PM

well unfortunitly they are getting some sort of fungus that we don't know how to get rid of and they are dropping off one by one. We still have quite a few but I am really afraid we might lose a couple of nice females that have huge spots on their sides and a spot at the base of the tail with black around it. Just keep your fingers crossed for us.... thanx

herefishy 01-31-2008 09:01 PM

Just reread the original thread. I saw that it was said that these fish are near extinction. Where did that come from? It is erroneous, false, not true, misinformation,and all that means the afore mentioned. They have been found in numerous numbers and pools, both upstream and downstream from the original discovery site. Add to that , the fact that these fish are so easy to breed and care for, I suspect that a) prices will drop, b) they wil be in the hobby for a long time to come.